Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
archglo

1978 Argosy 24
Coatesville , Pennsylvania
Dogg'n water leaks in our Argosy

My husband and I just purchased a 1978 24 ft. Argosy in pretty decent shape. Wanted to get our feet wet on first trailer before we tackled our true dream of a vintage Airstream restoration. Well, we shouldn't have said "getting our feet wet" because that is what we encountered on our first repair. First we noticed that floor under dinette was rotted so we tore out dinette and discovered fresh water tank had a tear in the filler. So off to the plastic welder it went.

Problem is we can't seem to locate another mystery leak on the opposite side from the freshwater tank. We do notice some "bubbling" on the lower portion of inside panel above the strut that goes to the tongue of the trailer. We were wondering if this leak is from either poorly sealed front windows (they appear ok) or is water migrating from somewhere else. Has anyone out there experienced this before or are we destined to tear the front paneling out of the trailer to investigate further? Any suggestions out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy and 98 6-10-08 001.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	62590  
archglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
There are so many places the trailer could be leaking from it isn't funny. It could be anything from one of the wing window gaskets leaking, to a door gasket leaking, to the antenna mount, or even the clearance lights. Try starting low with a hose, and slowly go up the trailer with it, and see if water comes in at any point. Two people would be required for this.
If that doesn't show up the leak, you may have to wait inside the trailer when the next monsoon strikes, and watch for water. A leak can travel a great distance inside the trailer before finally making an appearance.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
archglo

1978 Argosy 24
Thanks, Terry. I like your Steve McQueen quote because I feel the same as he did! You know McQueen grew up in Downingtown about 10 miles from here.

Your advice is sound as we planned to use the hose with a full on blast to the front of the trailer. Your way makes more sense. That is why I like this forum!!! I have been watching for many months before we found the Argosy. Great people on this forum! I look forward to exchanging many tips and ideas as we begin our journey to make the Argosy our "home on wheels". My wife and myself are not afraid to take on seemingly daunting projects. Just spent 15 years restoring a 1900 Queen Anne Victorian in Coatesville, PA. Love the challenge because restoration/remodeling means that you always are having to use your ingenuity and creativity. It really is an art form.

Arch
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Sorry about your leaks. You have the first Argosy I have seen that looks just like mine, well outside anyway. We don't have the dinette, nor have we ever found any leaks, but you've got a good looking trailer and I hope you find your leak and start having fun camping.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
archglo

1978 Argosy 24
We'll find those nasty ole leaks! I think the 24 ft is a cutie as it has the divided rooms and you can have fun decorating her. I am doing ours in a Moroccan decor so I can play in a gypsy-style trailer. I was too busy raising babies when this trailer was made and never got into 70's decor. What is 70's style decor anyway? I'm taking her back to my Berkeley, CA years and I am having loads of fun with decor from the 60's. Actually, my dream Airstream is a 1956 Safari 21 foot. I am saving my best decor finds for the '56.

This is the Glo part of archglo team here. I am the driving force for this trailer thing. Arch is just a willing participant
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
'70's decor is basically plastic and loud colors.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Argosy ownership. I'll warn you, one leak leads to another. Been chasing a few for awhile now. Fix one, another shows up. Fix another and the first one starts leaking again. One thing that was a terrible leaker on our Argosy was the TV antenae mount. The large rubber or foam gasket under the antenae looked like roofing granules when I took the antenae off. Depending on the way the trailer was parked the leak would show up all over the place at different times. A restored Argosy is probably rarer than a restored Airstream. Good Luck. George
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote