Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
cordless caulk gun

Grabbed a tube of vulkem and started hitting the windows.... still super surprised by how friggin' hard it is to pump this crap out of the tube. I decided to google and order a compound caulk gun and ran across the cordless guns. Hummmm - anyone ever use one of these or have advise on how it might handle the heavy caulk like vulkem?

Most seem to be pretty costly but I ran across this one (get what you pay for?)..

Ryobi 18-Volt One+ Caulk Gun (Tool Only)-P310 at The Home Depot

What 'cha think?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Laura,

I was just involved in a project where the paint crew purchased two of these Ryobi caulk guns and they performed very well for them. We were using Sikaflex 1A polyurethane sealant. Hope it works as well for you. Let us know how it goes.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a Milwaukee and an AEG that is very similar to that one. Works great on just about everything I have tried it on. We have a couple at work, one is an attachment to a drill the other is air powered.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One of my co-workers bought that Ryobi gun. He says you can get it from him when you pry it out of his cold dead fingers.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Great feedback. Might have to give it a go. Vulkem be damned.

Laura
Old 10-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I started caulking when the temperatures were low, it almost killed my hands. A little warmth goes a long way, put the tube someplace warm before you use it or on an electric heating pad. It is WAY easier when it's warm.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I started caulking when the temperatures were low, it almost killed my hands. A little warmth goes a long way, put the tube someplace warm before you use it or on an electric heating pad. It is WAY easier when it's warm.
I had put it in a 200 deg oven. Still a bi-otch.

Laura
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Vulcum shouldn't be hard to get out of the tube. Have used the cartrages before and never had any trouble. It should/must be at least room temp 72 degrees. putting in an oven at 200 degrees was not a good idea; too hot. warm it in the sun or over a heat vent. Are you sure tube was not old stock? Best way to use vulkem for a small/thin bead is to use a dispensing can. Got mine at the a/s Factory. used it and thru it away since i didn't know how to clean it.
As for battery operated guns, the Robi will push really thin to thick stuff out without a problem.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check the expiration date on the plunger part of the tube. When it gets close to expiration time, it gets really hard to push out of the tube.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I had put it in a 200 deg oven. Still a bi-otch.

Laura
There was something wrong with that caulk, probably way out of date. FWIW I store vulkem in the fridge wrapped in plastic to extend the shelf life of it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Although I really wanted to keep using my manual caulk gun (so I could have fore arms like Popeye!!) I recently purchased 2 new cordless units, both Milwaukee (as I have a zillion other cordless units from them).

I got the 18 Volt unit for heavy application roof work and the 12 Volt for finer, lower volume stuff like sealing vents and such. I still use the manual gun for very delicate caulking jobs like sealing the mounting feet of solar panels, but I don't know why I waited so long to go electric.........they ROCK!!

PS: Try storing your polyurethane sealants in the freezer.....they will last longer!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote