Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Colin Hyde Leak Tested My AS - Thank God!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270355.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	99912 What I could see before going to Colin

Name:	P4050377.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	99913 The area below the tape is the leak that still exists

Name:	P4050381.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	99914 Cutting the laminate to see below

Name:	P4090399.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	99915 Got home took all the furniture away and cut the laminate up after seeing all black mold on it.

How this started out:.

I went to my dealer with a rear center window that had two (2) leaks almost in line with the window locks. The rain was dripping onto the screen and then down the interior wall.

The dealer replaced the window seal and I told them the "floor was wet" on the curbside. They looked at the floor and had the fabric cleaned "no problem" and sent me on my way.

I went home and a day later as it rained I now had only one (1) leak on the right side of the screen when looking out the window. I called them up and they told me come on back down. A five (5) hour drive...

At this point I was so upset and frustrated I called Colin Hyde in Plattsburg, NY to make an appointment to have my AS leak tested. Thank God I did that other wise I think I would of had a BIGGER disaster on my hands.

Colin is a wonderful craftsman and passionate about his work, it was a real pleasure to meet him and watch him work on my AS. I can't say enough wonderful things about his knowledge of AS's and desire to help someone fix their beloved AS.

We found many leaks and he replaced my two (2) roof vents and seals with new aluminum ones. He designed the new seals which actually fit. This was something I learned about on the forums....Thank you everyone.

The window seal which was the reason I went to Colin was addressed and I still have a small leak it's going to take time to find.

I then showed him the area on the curbside where the laminate floor seemed damp at the edge but we could not see below. I got brave and said lets cut the
laminate and see what's down there? Not good black wet mold!!!

He found that the recessed license plate had leaks on it's top and sealed it. (I am getting ahead of myself now when I push on the inner skin I get water at the base of the wall so I believe I need to take the inner skin off.)

Can I remove the rivets that hold the bottom half of the inner skin -- is it possible with minimum knowledge? I have been reading for about a day about rivet removal. I have the pop rivet gun, I just need some advise on how to remove lower half the skin. I have searched many threads but I am putting in the wrong search words....

Colin has been kind to take my calls after the leak test and answer some "newbie" questions. He's the best. I believe he save my trailer from eventually rotting away without me knowing it.

Here's my question I am afraid if I do not remove the rivets of the bottom inner skin I will never know what is leaking. Colin figures (via telephone) it's the recessed license plate that might be the real problem.

And I assume the insulation is all wet, I have to figure if when the wall is pressed it shows water. So if it dries won't it be all moldy any how? I believe since I have gone this far why not finish the job. I am thinking I need to take the bottom rivets off about half way up the wall to get to the license plate area.

Any suggestions from people who have been there and done this?

Many thanks,

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote

« Leaking Rivets | Top | Leak »