Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Cool Clearance lights fogging

Water is beading on the inside lenses of several of my yellow clearance lights (2005 Safari). We recently had very heavy rains.

Is this a problem, possibly providing an entrance for water to the trailer? If so, how best to seal these lights?

Thanks for your help - sounds minor compared to many issues that come up on the forum, but I don't want it to become major!
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Wet Lens

My 04 Bambi does the same thing.Dealer stated it was normal after I had them take them all apart and check and clean them.So I am watching them also.
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hi guys. Susan and I looked at a couple of new Airstreams last weekend, but I don't remember what type of running lights were on them. If they are like the older ones (ours is a 1973) they are made to allow water in. But the water collects behind the lens and there a couple of weep holes for it to drain/evaporate back out of. Shouldn't leak into the camper unless there are other problems.

Somebody with a new/newer camper will have a better answer.

Hope this helps.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Join the club of wet clearance lights. You most likely could make your own gaskets and screw seals to keep out the water. The dealers could care less, they just want to sell you another set of overpriced lamp assemblies.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
... Is this a problem, possibly providing an entrance for water to the trailer? ...
I doubt it will let any water into your Airstream, but the algae/moss buildup may hamper illumination as it did on my Overlander.

See pic below which details what was cleaned out after several years.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000513.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	17512  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Fogging Marker Lights

Most all clearance lights fog, even some of the new sealed units fog. Which means that air is getting in somewhere. This is caused by the heat of the lamp warming the moist air inside the lamp. Thats the reason for the weep holes ( more of a gap in the raised ring that the lens snaps onto ). If the assembly is on upside down or the lens assembly is dirty on the inside the water will collect inside the light and cause corrision and rust. All of the clearance lights with a snap on lens are designed to breathe. This allows them to dry out when it's not raining or the lights are on.

The new teardrop style lights that are on the newer units are designed to breathe. I have the same lights on the cab of my pickup. Only diff. is I have black bases and the AS's have chrome bases. There are two weep holes one in front and one in back. When the lights are on they will dryout. I would advise against sealing them up. This will trap the moisture inside the light, not a good thing.

Now if you were to switch to LEDS they are sealed better, use less energy, and don't get as hot. Therefore they have a minimal temp differential between the outside air and the air inside the lamp.

I personally am sticking with my vintage lights. I don't have any problems with them at all. I did have to re-seal the bases to the skin. I used butyl tape. It works great and is easy to put on.

This is just my experience and observations.

Wow Tom W, thats a lotta gunk inside those lights. Especially when you can get it out in one piece ! I bet they are brighter now.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Marker lights corroded--New 06 Safari

I've had this unit a month. I'm generally pleased but there are some disconcerting flaws.

One of the marker lights had water in it and stopped working--it lasted two weeks. When I took of the cover it was corroded. Perhaps a little moisture inside is normal but I'm not so sure, given the propensity of the fixture to rust and corrode.

Three hours to my dealer to take care of this and a couple of other problems--leak front window, bed platform not fully screwed into the wall.

pagoff
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #8
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Try this for your foging lens, I have never done this but I have heard that it works, here is the site to puchase the product.http://www.kleervu.com/