Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
GeorgeMiller

2015 25' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
All,
Very informative information - life should be a little mo simple - like to many choices of potato chips at the local grocery. We have a 88 Excella 'The George Miller". The windows are starting to leak, very little - I feel I am armed with enough info to reseal, how about info on removing the existing caulk?

Always THANK YOU ALL
Edhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
It can be hard to find good Poly-based adhesives at Big Box stores...
I am a glass guy, 20+ years. Glass to aluminum-Silicone, Aluminum to aluminum or other substrates-polyurethane. Quad is a decent 'big box' brand. Professionially I prefer Dymonic.
Also, when bondin aluminum to aluminum a body shop friend of mine recommends 'Panel Bond' by 3M...
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
mnhays.. NEVER silicon to aluminum. Sorry, but it is not compatible. I would go as far as saying the same about the new"aluminum compatible" type. Fastenal sells just about every single poly based sealant there is. They are national and ship anywhere.

Edhopkins… Your windows are most likely leaking because of bad seals not the lack of sealant. If you add sealant you are going to increase the leak unless it is leaking behind the window.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Arden , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Folks, there are over 2,000 Fastenal stores across the USA and Canada, all eager and willing to sell you TremPro in any of the model numbers it is available in. Some of them even stock it. Whenever I have needed it, it never took more than three business days for them to get it in if they didn't have it in stock.

The local fasenal
store here required my to order a case then wanted to charge a shipping fee on every tube. vintage trailer supply ended up being less expensive.
Harperbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Your Fastenal should be reported to corporate than. You can buy one or a case. What exactly were you ordering? Was it something special order? It is not a wholesale warehouse nor is it wholesale only. How would they charge you by the tube if it is a case? That makes absolutely zero sense. Fastenal does not charge you to bring it into the store, only to ship to your house. I suspect there is something that was left out here.
A case is 9 tubes btw, I ordered in two cases Friday to my local store. Monday at 8 it will be available to me at the store.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I have run into a similar issue with my Fastenal store here on other items. Their ordering system wouldn't allow them to bring in less than a case quantity from the distribution center.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I will be inquiring about this Monday morning with my branch manager. I can order one tube or 1000. I have never once been told I had to buy a quantity other than I want.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
It also may be that I don't spend enough money there at a given time so they're less flexible. JM2C

I will wholeheartedly second the Trempro 626 product. It is excellent for this application. I am a huge fan of Tremco's product (Even Silicone).

Also, I was stating usage in general construction regarding silicone to aluminum & glass (used a a cap bead or glazing bed) I cringe everytime I see it slathered on holes in trailers...almost as bad a roofing tar.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Arden , North Carolina
I just wanted 3 tubes but like I said they wanted me to order a case and pay shipping. I work near the store so I would pick it up. VTS was cheeper even with shipping.
Harperbear is offline   Reply With Quote