Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Stanton , Michigan
Caulk

I've read lots of threads on what type of caulk to use. I see the most recommended one is Sikaflex 221 and even the Airstream Supply Store recommends this. My concern. I've read the directions and Safety Data Sheets on this, scared the heck out of me. The directions clearly state that this should be handled by a professional only. Well I am by no means a professional repair person. So I can only assume some of you are or close enough to it to use this stuff. It also states once cured it can only be removed mechanically. Whatever that would be. So what to use for roof (white), seams/rivets (silver) and undercarriage (black) that won't scare the heck out of me to use. If I am overreacting please tell me so. Thanks for your input.
Silver.Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Waynesville , Georgia
Caulk

I used Trempro 635 (white and gray) and Parbond from Vintage Trailer Supply. Cleaned hands with mineral spirits then washed well with Dawn. So far so good.
ChristyB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Same here. Wear gloves.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I really like Parbond. I put it in a seam and immediately wipe it with a rag soaked in mineral spirits. That action pushes the caulk into the seam I am trying to seal and removes the excess.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Litigous Society

When using any fast curing polyurethane sealant or adhesive be sure to wear the full compliment of PPE including face and lung protection. You never know when, maybe decades from now, a chemist/bio researcher or law firm will determine incidental exposure was hazardous to one's health and resulted in <1% of the handling population experiencing a cancerous outcome. Should you proceed anyway, be sure to keep all your receipts, packaging, and photograph yourself beside the product to ensure class action payout participation.

FYI, Using nitrile gloves as the aforementioned glove choice may be hazardous too if manufactured elsewhere in the world as the synthetic rubber compounds might have been mixed with contaminated source chemicals not recognized by our government entities (especially California) as fully safe for human use. In addition, be sure to check the glove manufacture date as the synthetic, rather than latex, compounds have a documented, five year shelf life before degradation can result in unintended chemical contact from glove failure. Such incidents also require photographic chronicling for full compensation.

Keep safety in mind in all you do... especially when handling waste tank slinkies due to the extensively documented bio-hazards contained within or on exterior surfaces.

With all the precautions and exceptions duly noted above for precluding liability from the free-advice rendered here, you can use 221; just be cautious and limit your exposure/contact with reasonable awareness and without excessive fear.

removed mechanically = use a spatula type tool rather than dissolve with a chemical

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Hmm, well at least it does not have Toluene like some of the other "good stuff" does.

https://usa.sika.com/content/dam/dms...kaflex-221.pdf
Old 08-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
It does depend on what you are wanting sealant for. Sikaflex 221 is very good but it is not self leveling and has adhesive properties which is why it is used with VHB tape for screwless solar panel mounts. After having to remove 4 solar panels installed this way I can confirm it can only be removed mechanical but an oscillating tool with thin blade and 90% IPA does the trick without damaging the roof. I recently installed new Maxxfan's and my choice for that was Sikaflex 715 which worked very well for the purpose. If you are wanting to do general sealant replacement I would suggest 715 but you must remove all the old sealant first. Many have great success with Dicor 501 and I gather it is more compatible with going over old sealant. If you are sealing windows and seams I believe 221 is typical for that. I found the following link very useful as he covers some of the technical differences.

https://askthervengineer.com/my-favo...y-amazon-list/
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
"should be handled by a professional only" This statement is an lawyer getting the company out of lability. So you won't sue them. Use command scent around it. Don't eat it, don't allow it to touch an open wound, wear gloves.