Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Bug and Critter Protection...To the Extreme!

I have been working tirelessly for the past four days in order to make our Airstream bug and critter proof. I started under the front and checked every rivet, joint, seam and void. From first glance everything looked pretty good. However, after closer inspection, I found a total of 11 places where a mouse/snake could get into the banana-wrap level of space. All something would have to do is follow it to where pipes rise to the kitchen or the vent for the refrigerator and whalla, into the trailer they could be. I replaced 37 popped rivets and created 4 aluminum custom blocks for areas that were larger than what sealer or spray-foam and sealer could close up. The largest entry area was at the front by the spare tire where the frame meets the front panel. Another area was the 1 and ½” curved space between the frame and the back bumper. I created a matching shape panel and riveted it onto the frame.

Believe it or not the list goes on. From the step release lever hole to the exhaust fan 3” hose where I covered with a fine mesh screen, I slowly closed up all entry points. I even sealed every seam and where one material mats up with another. I almost think my Airstream can float now. I really don’t think a sugar ant could get in unless it climbs up to the A/C unit.

I am now ready for Spring…let the critters loose.

Tharon
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If they can't get in.... they can't get out either.

Bugs come in the door on your clothing, your groceries, and your shoes. Eggs can also be carried in on the wind, and hatch inside.

I love the advice of throwing a sacrificial Oreo under the trailer and encouraging the critters to enjoy easy living outside.

Paula
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Paula,
Now what bug, snake or rodent would leave the comforts of an Airstream to eat Oreo's ouside in the dirt?
I did the Oreo thing and they just laughed at me.
I sealed mine up too!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Paula,
I noticed your in Virginia (still a little cold there). The Oreo trick works well when you are camping for a couple of days, I agree because it worked for me too. But we have been at the same spot since June and have become part of the landscape. We also have a GenSet and keep huge lights on at night that attracts bugs, which attracts critters. We saw our first rattler of the year yesterday and tonight I counted 12 scorpions and countless spiders. It will be 80 degrees here today and I think an Oreo would just invite the cows or wild pigs to come camp with us. Happy Camping!!
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Hmmm... still waiting for our snow to start melting, but thanks for the heads up , another to-do. Luckily no problem with snow fleas this year.

BTW like your avatar, sharpies are my favorite accip.
Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When not using the trailer, remove all traces of food. Pests have incredible senses that will find it, and are clever enough to get to it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tupperware - don't leave home without it.

And if you live in Texas definitely seal the sucker up! Scorpions ---- ECH!

Paula
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Yesterday we were checking the tires. Popped off a hub cap and found a blackwidow nesting. Dead now.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
spiders and scorpions

[QUOTE tonight I counted 12 scorpions and countless spiders. It will be 80 degrees here today ![/QUOTE]

Is this INSIDE the AS or outside?
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

Corpus Christi , Texas
Mice

Unfortunately my 1993 airstream has been completely infiltrated by mice. I cant believe that airstream would make a product that is so easy to infiltrate by vermin. Unlike a stick built home or structure, there are multiple entry points for mice to enter a trailer. I made the mistake of leaving my trailer at the ranch for a few months, and it was pretty much destroyed by mice. Even with moth balls and poison placed at strategic locations. Other than a few tight compartments, there wasn't a single spot that wasn't covered in mice turds. Insulation and wiring have been chewed as well. If they are pooping they are also peeing so the thought and smell is disgusting. I am having the trailer detailed and sprayed now. Putting it up for sale. Hope to get at least 1\2 of what I paid.....
riofrio is offline   Reply With Quote