Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Another leak.

Hoping someone here may be able to give some guidance. I am sure this question has been brought about a million times and I do apologize for any repetition. The restoration work has begun on a 62 (I think) Bambi and it seems as though the whole curb side has one big leak. Could this be due to frame seperation on the WHOLE curbside? There doesn't seem to be any water rolling down the interior so the thought is that it is that it is coming in around the bottom of the shell. Any other suggestions on what should be looked for / at?
SCBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

If there is an awning on the curb side, that attachment area would be a place to look, also the vent pipe seal at your roof top.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
leak

The bottom of the shell is where most leaks will accumulate even if they start up high. The previous poster was right about checking your awning attachment. Make sure all rivets are tight, clean, and recaulk above awning attachments. Make sure the screws that hold the frame arms on are tight and caulked. Replace vent gaskets (search this site). Windows and then lastly maybe some seams may be the culprit. Mine were a combo of all of the above.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

leak found

Thank you for the heads up on what to look for. I believe the leaks or at least some of them have been found. The question we now have is if the leak has run between the skins what kind of damage may have been done to the insulation, if there is any. We really do not want to go and take the interior rivets out and everything as we have found in the past they were not that easy to deal with later. Any suggestions on how we should proceed without making more of a mess than needed? or is taking the interior skins apart the only way?
SCBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
skins

From what I hear, removing interior skins should be a last resort since they can be difficult to get off and difficult to get back on without damage. The insulation will dry once the leak stops. I'd say find and fix the leaks, make sure they're really gone (spray with hose etc) THEN work on the floor or other issues.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: leak found

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBrat
Thank you for the heads up on what to look for. I believe the leaks or at least some of them have been found. The question we now have is if the leak has run between the skins what kind of damage may have been done to the insulation, if there is any. We really do not want to go and take the interior rivets out and everything as we have found in the past they were not that easy to deal with later. Any suggestions on how we should proceed without making more of a mess than needed? or is taking the interior skins apart the only way?
As long as it dries out it should be fine. Get some air moving and open up all the cabinets to get the floor dry.

Our 59 was leaking for years and didn't find any problem with the insulation ther then vibrations causing it to slide down.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote