Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, all trailers and houses will leak eventually.

But, Airstreams would leak less if workmanship at the factory was better. There are plenty of reports of sloppy sealing and overtorqueing of screws on things like the skylights.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Zip Dee

An interesting note is that Zipdee that is all they use to seal around any awning equipment.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lac du Flambeau , Wisconsin
New Airstream leaks

Our new FC is leaking and the water is coming in from a seam on the curbside. Not bad, but enough to be concerned.
It's obviously within the warranty period and we will take it to Jackson Center
for repairs within the next month or so. I'm wondering what we can anticipate
at the factory. I'm hoping they identify the leak, assess the damage, repair the damage and replace whatever has been ruined. And, of course, fix the source of the problem. Can some of you please share your warranty repair experiences in Jackson Center?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Our new FC is leaking and the water is coming in from a seam on the curbside. Not bad, but enough to be concerned.
It's obviously within the warranty period and we will take it to Jackson Center
for repairs within the next month or so. I'm wondering what we can anticipate
at the factory. I'm hoping they identify the leak, assess the damage, repair the damage and replace whatever has been ruined. And, of course, fix the source of the problem. Can some of you please share your warranty repair experiences in Jackson Center?
Ask them to test the trailer in the "bath house" where all the trailers are tested during the manufacturing process.

It's quite a sight to watch.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #65

1975 31' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RayDelfino
I have a 1975. I noticed the front floor was spongy in places. After removing the wood I noticed the insulation was soaked. I caulked all the trimming around the lower edges. There are no obvious leaks but after a heavy rain, water comes in from somewhere and gets the inside of the aluminum flooring wet. Any suggestions?????
What am I missing????
Ray
RayDelfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDelfino View Post
What am I missing????
The entire roof, especially the sewer vent(s), roof vents, antenna, air conditioner. Window gaskets, side seam and lap joints, access doors.

Plumbing . . .

Step release slot leaks a LOT.

Vista windows can leak bad.

All the above . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Ray,
Check the plywood at and around the door. The plywood holds the door frame in place at the bottom. If the plywood is rotten,soft,spongy at the bottom of the door frame this will allow the frame to recess into the trailer ever so slight and the door will not seal.
As for leaks from the top and around vents, a/c, antenna, you can take the approach one of the po of my trailer. He cured all the leaks. He took approx. 5 gallons of BLACK TAR and mopped the entire top down to the windows. NO LEAKS.
Three weeks of cleaning that mess off and I found 4 prepunched holes in the top skin that no rivets had ever been driven. 37 years after it left the factory.
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I have all the rear interior panels in the bathroom removed in my 77 Sovereign. With out being hooked up to city water or having my water tank in place, I still have running water in the bathroom. It is coming in from the tail lights... Like Niagara Falls! It just needs to be sealed along the top and perimeter of the tail light housing. This spot is what did the most damage to my rear floor.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #69

1975 31' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RayDelfino
I guess I have some work cut out for me. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know what happens.
Ray
RayDelfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The awning rail can be a source of leaks. When I removed the awning roller from my trailer I found 5 pre-punched rivet holes that never had a rivet.

My trailer had 11 separate and unrelated leaks from the entry door to the front of the curbside living area window. That's only about 5 feet of space. I ended up removing the interior skin to find and fix the leaks. The step release slot is a designed leak. There's no fix for that. My blog shows part of my solution for that issue.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Also the awning rail supports. On ours they are mounted on a seam and sealing something that has an uneven place to put it is difficult, but necessary. The water that collects behind the awning comes down on the rail supports. Our lower support was leaking onto the top of the subfloor.

Rivets not installed—we had problems with a side window and when the dealer tried to fix it and took off the top part of the hinge, they left out about half of the rivets. I put screws in the holes and took it to the factory service center where they did it correctly.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake Tapps , Washington
I saw a sign at a service center for RVs that said:

"If you think you don't have a leak, you just haven't found it yet."

In Western Washington, we know a bit about rain and mildew. Most shops will pressurize your unit with a powerful fan running into your top vent, then squirt soapy water all over to see where the bubbles indicate a leak. Simple and fast. I had a leaky top light and TV antenna base. $75 seems cheap to diagnose the mysterious travels of water. The top running light was centered, but the water showed up on one side at the floor!
grandparippe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks