Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
'76 Airstream GT Fixed Window Leak

Seeking suggestions on stemming a window leak.

In Houston where we've had a LOT of rain this season - that's putting it mildly but I know TX needs the rain!

Starboard fixed window beneath operating window has a slow leak in heavy rain. I'm in the process of drying about 6 towels I've used to protect the interior from the moisture!

Taped up outside of window with a cut up black trash bag covering the glass. Water stream has been coming from the inside - just this morning, I took some duct tape and ran the tape from inside the trailer, against the glass and the top of the beauty ring - that seemed to stop the leaking.

I do have a small tube of silicone on hand and can run to Home Depot to get some Vulcum - thinking I'll drill out the rivets, remove the beauty ring and run a bead around the inside edge where glass meets the aluminum.

Open to suggestions before I get to work.

Thank You!

Ken
Attached Images

kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman
Seeking suggestions on stemming a window leak.

In Houston where we've had a LOT of rain this season - that's putting it mildly but I know TX needs the rain!

Starboard fixed window beneath operating window has a slow leak in heavy rain. I'm in the process of drying about 6 towels I've used to protect the interior from the moisture!

Taped up outside of window with a cut up black trash bag covering the glass. Water stream has been coming from the inside - just this morning, I took some duct tape and ran the tape from inside the trailer, against the glass and the top of the beauty ring - that seemed to stop the leaking.

I do have a small tube of silicone on hand and can run to Home Depot to get some Vulcum - thinking I'll drill out the rivets, remove the beauty ring and run a bead around the inside edge where glass meets the aluminum.

Open to suggestions before I get to work.

Thank You!

Ken
Removed beauty ring - water looks like coming in from old Vulcum seal on exterior - will see if captain tolley can help!

Ken Tuvman
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Seal both the window to the frame and the frame to the exterior skin. Mask of both areas with black electrical tape as it will stretch around corners. don't forget to seal the split in the window frame. install a nice bead and then remove the tape before the sealant dries. Below is a picture of me sealing the glass to the frame. I did the same after I installed the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01854.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	153067  
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Here is what it looks like after sealing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01855.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	153069  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
I like your suggestion about using black electrical tape - what did you use for sealant and what color? Did you use a caulking gun?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I used an aircraft fuel tank sealant with a pneumatic caulking gun but the same thing can be accomplished with Vulcum or any of the other polyethylene sealants used with a regular caulking gun. Apply a small bead of sealant and then dip your rubber (or latex) gloved finger in mineral spirits and wipe off the excess leaving a nice fillet seal between the taped off areas. I used black sealant but it turned grey after exposure to UV light