Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Pressure test, suction fix

If you go to the trouble of the pressure test, might investigate the dealer's capability to fix with suction. On riveted aluminum aircraft floats, we would proceed similarly. Pressure to find the leaks with soapy water applied to seams under pressure, then apply something like Captain Tolley's to the seams while under suction - draws the sealant into the seams.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #22

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Guernville , California
I highly recommend you get a leak test- I’ve got a 2008 safari se- love it but had to replace the back third floor...that back rail is not going to hold off a storm and water will penetrate into the floor over time so get your rails protected. Needed new flooring for the entire rig once the third was pulled up. Highly recommend Vinnie’s north bay airstream for a job such as this. 5 yrs later she is sound and the floor looks beautiful.
Nenabeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
Because I requested the test and paid for it. For some reason this isn't something that Airstream considers is normal - who knows why.

The leaks were on the outside shell. They used what Airstream recommends to seal it. I didn't ask exactly what it was.
Boy, times change! We bought a new 1977 Sovereign and pulled it for thousands of miles over a 22 year period. It was always stored outside. Back then nobody talked about an air pressure test. We never had a single leak. Actually the dealer pitched the idea that was one of the reasons to buy an AS b/c no roof to leak. For us at least, it was true. Now, many many posts about leaks. What happened?
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
WT-heck

A brand new trailer under warranty and you pay for something or someone to
Blow it up like a ballon to force a leak. That’s like insane sorry. I’ll be calling Jackson Center tomorrow asking why my soon to be built Airstream needs to
Be violated by a dealership leaf blower.

Did they sell you the $ 4000 ceramic coat with it

I’ll Pre apologize this just hit a nerve.

Quote:
I just picked up my 2020 Airstream after having its first year axle maintenance done. I also decided to pay to have a pressurized leak test done. They found so many leaks that they contacted Airstream. Airstream paid 1/2 the cost as a positive good will. I appreciate that, but I wanted to encourage ALL OF YOU to get your trailers tested.

They said the pressurized test is good at forcing soon to be leaks to expose themselves too. My dealer (Airstream DFW) charges $279 for the test.

I just wanted to pass this along to all of you. I know it gives me a piece of mind knowing I had it done.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I just picked up my 2020 Airstream after having its first year axle maintenance done. I also decided to pay to have a pressurized leak test done. They found so many leaks that they contacted Airstream. Airstream paid 1/2 the cost as a positive good will. I appreciate that, but I wanted to encourage ALL OF YOU to get your trailers tested.

They said the pressurized test is good at forcing soon to be leaks to expose themselves too. My dealer (Airstream DFW) charges $279 for the test.

I just wanted to pass this along to all of you. I know it gives me a piece of mind knowing I had it done.
So... to take this thread in a different direction... what do you mean by "first year axle maintenance"? Maybe I've just missed it, but I don't remember hearing about axle maintenance being required in the first year (other than just routinely inspecting bearings, etc.).
Xbc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Had service work done at the mother ship. Both the service advisor and the tech told me not to bother with the test. They said Airstreams are built to flex and not leak, so I took their advice and didn't bother with the test.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbc3 View Post
So... to take this thread in a different direction... what do you mean by "first year axle maintenance"? Maybe I've just missed it, but I don't remember hearing about axle maintenance being required in the first year (other than just routinely inspecting bearings, etc.).
Raised my interest too. What axel maintenance? I have a '16 FC and everything I've read and heard says the axel & WB's are maintenance free. Sealed bearings. And again, pressurizing the shell to "force" impending leaks that otherwise may never occur doesn't make a lot of sense. These things are built to withstand serious rain...I've watched them tested in Jackson. Why create problems by forcing leaks that otherwise wouldn't exist or cause problems under normal circumstances? I mean how did (with maybe some exception) did all the AS trailers get by without such a test for all these years?
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Had service work done at the mother ship. Both the service advisor and the tech told me not to bother with the test. They said Airstreams are built to flex and not leak, so I took their advice and didn't bother with the test.
And then there's the time they actually pay for this test, too.

My previously-dry 2-year old Flying Cloud started leaking like crazy under the front window and below the side bedroom window. My service center (not an Airstream dealer) could not find anything wrong with the windows themselves. They performed the pressure test and found the seal for the "sunglass" hinge had failed and the seal for a vista view window had a gap in it. In both instances, where the water was showing up inside the trailer was quite a distance from where the water was intruding. The tech told me it was much quicker (i.e. cheaper) to do the lead test rather than to spend manual labor (i.e. billable labor hours) looking for likely locations for leaks.

Airstream paid for the diagnosis and all window repairs, even though my trailer had aged well past the 1-year mark.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Leak test supported by JC

My 2019 30' FC leaked first trip out. In the pouring rain over night it was fine, but at 65 MPH in the pouring rain the floor at centerpoint near door had lots of water.

Dried it up and found it again at next stop. And again, and again. It was the initial dry run from hell in oh so many ways. Camp ground was also very flooded, but that's a different thread.

At the Florida state park another 1st week owner approached telling me they had a significant leak and were exceedingly disappointed. Did not interrogate about whether while under travel or sitting still. She was more in anxiety mode than diagnosis mode so I did not pursue.

After a quick return to MI my selling dealer, who has air leak test capability, found several possible entry points and repaired them all. Since leaks occured while under travel who knows the actual entry point. I'm sure there is lots of compromised insulation between the unknown entry point and the floor where the water settled.

Shortly thereafter during my first warranty trip to JC (to find electrical issues the dealer could not resolve) I told JC that I would pay for a leak test just to be sure that the dealer found and solved the problem. They performed the test and found a window leak which they repaired. As mentioned in earlier posts, who knows if this was an air leak only issue vs a water leak potential issue. But in my mind if JC uses the test, as do the more sophisticated dealers, who am I to challenge whether this is a bridge too far. If JC finds it a reasonable test, I accept their judgement.

Since JC found a leak within year one of purchase I asked to not be charged for leak test. After consultation, they agreed.

bickp
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #30
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
I appreciate all of your comments!

The axe service was to ensure the Sealed Bearings were not leaking, which is something they have discovered after a year on the road lately. They also inspected the breaks to ensure there was no abnormal wear as sometimes this can indicated the gain on the break settings need to be adjusted. This is all just for our piece of mind as we will be logging some series miles this year. We traveled some major miles in our first year.

As for the leak test being crazy? I can't agree with that at all. I am so glad I had them do it because they discovered some major bubbles in areas all over my Airstream. Again, so many they call Airstream to notify them and get it on record just in case it becomes a problem going forward.

See this video on the details on how the test is done. It should answer your questions on why and how it is done: Video Link
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #31
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
My leak test is scheduled with Foley RV Wednesday. Better safe than sorry.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #32
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
My leak test is scheduled with Foley RV Wednesday. Better safe than sorry.
I agree! Let us know the results please.
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I had a leak test done on my previous Airstream (1986 Sovereign) every other year when J.D. Saunders was still open. Only found one leak in 3 tests but it gave me real piece of mind.

Now that Saunders is gone, Iíll probably try Foley on my way West with my new(er) Airstream for the same reason...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I see it's not so crazy. It wasn't hard to find the details and the Sealtech Co. who makes the device they use to test with. It just comes as a surprise to me at least. I worked in RV plants (coatings supplier) for years, been RVing for almost ten, never heard of it, no mention of it before by dealers or even on this forum that I've seen till now but I've also been retired for 11 yrs so I learned something...still, I'm thinking this test could uncover air leaks that would have no danger of allowing in water. I found a sizable leak in the back of our trailer by virtue of the vacuum created by towing. It would suck road dust into a back corner but had no possibility of allowing water in. Prevention being worth a pound of cure is always good though. Thanks for the info.
Quote:
I appreciate all of your comments!

The axe service was to ensure the Sealed Bearings were not leaking, which is something they have discovered after a year on the road lately. They also inspected the breaks to ensure there was no abnormal wear as sometimes this can indicated the gain on the break settings need to be adjusted. This is all just for our piece of mind as we will be logging some series miles this year. We traveled some major miles in our first year.

As for the leak test being crazy? I can't agree with that at all. I am so glad I had them do it because they discovered some major bubbles in areas all over my Airstream. Again, so many they call Airstream to notify them and get it on record just in case it becomes a problem going forward.

See this video on the details on how the test is done. It should answer your questions on why and how it is done: Video Link
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
I totally agree with you! Smart thinking.
Big Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #36
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Completed my leak test today at Foley. No leaks.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote