Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
2010 25' FB window leak.

Yup took it in about 6 months ago to get fixed by a dealer. It wasn't fixed right. Noticed it again 2 weeks ago on a rainy day..seeping from the front left panoramic window at the bottom. The dealer,different one this time, said it a window seal defect. Gonna replace it when I get back from the keys. They are also going to remove a panel to see if there is any water damage. Thank goodness for waranties.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
So sorry to hear that, Shane. We'll have to keep a close eye on ours - same model, same year. I take it the leak occurred in the bedroom?
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Yes in the Front Left.

Like I said, though it's the window manufactuer fault.

No worries here. Getting ready to leave for the Keys in two weeks and gonna have them do all the work when we get back..close to the end of June.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Mine's got a slight leak at top of the rear curbside pano window... only leaked once, when rain was driving directly against it, but its on the list to get fixed when i take the unit in for a few warranty items next month.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That is a bummer for sure. I hope that nothing else is damaged. As it is said, "They all leak". But they shouldn't. Not in anything less than 15 years old. Leaking pano windows seems to be a constant problem.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ntl-76738.html

Good luck with the repairs.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our only leak was right front pano, and very slight. It looks to me like the gasket or sealant between the window frame and glass shrinks or opens very slightly from vibrations of travel. I fixed it by taping all the pano frames and the window glass so that about 1/8" of sealant bead could overlap both the glass and frame. Dry as a bone ever since.

Wind driven rain could put a lot of water inside the trailer through these tiny openings.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Two words: Jackson Center.

I had the same problem on my '07 20'. Dealer tried but JC fixed it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Shane,
We, too , had leaks on the windows, had it all fixed by JC after dealer failed to do it right. Now a year later, I noticed a dark coloring on the floor under the dinette, it was mold. Went to different dealer and thru the warranty, had the whole floor replaced and I'm so glad we did. Early on we had some pretty significant leaks all over. We were amazed at the water marks on the wood!! But, fortunately, no wood damage and all was repaired and flooring replaced.
My point to all this, please watch your floor for dark spots and don't let it go too long before you have it checked.
By the way, kudos to JD Sanders in Alachua for doing a great job!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Had a leak on my older trailer recently. The fixed window adjacent to the door was leaking where some gap developed in the seal between the glass and metal frame. I sealed it up as mentioned a few posts above and it's been dry. I did it in late March and it's been through a very wet northeast spring and still dry. How long should I expect this to work. I will keep an eye on it and try and keep it sealed should any gaps arise. Just interested in the long range aspect of this type of repair.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Visting the factory in JC, I know they put them through the shower, wonder if the shower is offline they bypass this process and thus a few streams get through without the "wet test"?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
JC has portable shower. They tested mine out in the parking lot after the repair.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With my own trailer and experience of others, the pano windows will be a continuing source of leaks. The overall rigidity of the trailer is compromised by these large open areas with no sheet metal to strengthen it. Add the dead weight of the large glass and the vibrations, twisting, and shakes of moving down the road and the seals begin to fail.

Anyone in the building trade will tell you sealant without a flashing system would be unacceptable in their trade, and will most surely leak eventually. All travel trailer/moho's are guilty.

We adore our Airstream and its many attributes for travel. Nothing better. I know how to stop ours from leaking (as in my previous post) even as the company keeps fooling with their flawed system, but I doubt it is a permanent fix. It's a matter of adding inspection and maintenance of the window seals to our regular maintenance schedule.

doug k
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think it must be really heartbreaking to have such issues with a new or almost new trailer. Those of us with older units just accept these things and learn to deal with them. I guess frequent inspection and re-sealing is the lesson to learn here. I think my trusy ice pick will soon become my own best airstream friend.

Thanks all for the great advise and observations.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We aslo have a leak from the FB pano window (in addition to one from the AC vent and one from the read skylight) in our 2008 International 27FB. We haven't had the opportunity to reseal those areas yet.

My question about the nature of the window leak is this: The water seems to flow on the outside of the interior shell —*down the wall behind the bed. As a stopgap measure, we have a towel stuffed under the curtain track below the leak to prevent it from dripping down onto the floor. But with this type of leak, is it also likely that there is water leaking *underneath* the interior skin?
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
KerriO, gravity will ensure this type of leak will find its way to the bottom, which is the plywood floor. Find a way to seal it before it causes damage, and take the time to do it neatly. Keep any bead of sealant thick enough for flexibility, or it will soon crack open.

We also used a towel to catch the moisture when I first noticed it, although it had not gone below the window frame. On our 20, we can crawl under the bed and see the plywood floor at the edges, as the laminate is not tightly glued there.

doug k