Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 97
What sealant to use for that

I thought I did such a good in sealing the roof. After two days of rain I noticed a small leak inside and it looks like there is caulking/ sealant missing on the outside windows ( not the window frame).
Can anyone tell me what I should use to replace the missing calking / sealant .?Please sea photoClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	348241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	348242
__________________

rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 147
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 16
I took this from another post.
SEALANTS: SUMMARY :

NO SILICONE:

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635 Grey
Sikaflex 221 Black (use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Grey

Roof:

Sikaflex 221 White (for roof seams, seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Sikaflex 715 (around fans, vents, skylights ... self-levelling)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
EternaBond® AlumiBond (alum. backed sealing tape, 2", 3", 4", and 6" wide)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Lexel™ Clear

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
Loctite® PL® S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel™ Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)
Aluminum Pigmented Gutterseal

Rivet sealer:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
Parbond Gray or Clear (small hand tubes), also good for small gaps (<1/8”) such as top of belt line rub rail, door/window frames, etc
__________________

mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
I took this from another post.
SEALANTS: SUMMARY :

NO SILICONE:

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635 Grey
Sikaflex 221 Black (use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Grey

Roof:

Sikaflex 221 White (for roof seams, seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Sikaflex 715 (around fans, vents, skylights ... self-levelling)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
EternaBond AlumiBond (alum. backed sealing tape, 2", 3", 4", and 6" wide)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Lexel Clear

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
Loctite PL S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)
Aluminum Pigmented Gutterseal

Rivet sealer:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
Parbond Gray or Clear (small hand tubes), also good for small gaps (<1/8”) such as top of belt line rub rail, door/window frames, etc


So from my picture would you use tempro for the glass seal ?
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,750
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 52
Captain Tolley’s

Easy fix. Use Captain Trolleys
See my blog post.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...nt-right-2995/
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 84
Sealant

I have my best luck with marine products. Use Life-Calk for roof top units, their sealant stays flexible. For small holes and screws, you can also use RTV gasket/sealant.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,260
FYI there is a "Sealants Summary" thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ry-116214.html

. . . in the "Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks and Sealants" sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
I have my best luck with marine products. Use Life-Calk for roof top units, their sealant stays flexible. For small holes and screws, you can also use RTV gasket/sealant.


Thanks I actually looking at those. The distributors that I bought the trailer from are telling me to use silicone. I sent a message to airstream to see what they would do.
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,260
I thought silicone was not good for the aluminum skin on Airstreams, because it usually contains acetic acid?



http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...num-83291.html
"no silicon caulk" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=no+s...=airforums.com

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Silicone sealers were used by Airstream many years ago on the exterior.

It FAILED horribly.

You can use it on the inside ot the trailer, but NEVER EVER on the exterior.

For the exterior use Vulkem, Sikoflex and/or Par Bond.

The Vulkem sealer that Airstream used on trailers almost 50 years old (young) is still in great shape.

Vulkem will out last silicone everyday of the week, month, year, decades.

Andy
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
I took this from another post.
SEALANTS: SUMMARY :

NO SILICONE:
. . .
Could you please provide a link to that post?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Could you please provide a link to that post?

Thanks,

Peter


Well according to airstream you use adseal which is silicone .
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12,260
Perhaps Adseal does not contain acetic acid? See earlier posts.

Good luck,

Peter
__________________

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did we use the wrong sealant on Fantastic Fan install? cheetah1 General Repair Forum 8 10-10-2015 06:27 PM
Replacing City Water Inlet - Sealant to use? whacksplat Fresh Water Systems 8 10-24-2014 01:37 PM
Type of caulk / sealant to use zamelia General Repair Forum 1 08-11-2014 09:31 PM
What sealant to use on exterior of Argosy? crabbey1 Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 2 07-30-2013 02:12 PM
What sealant to use? Tinsel Loaf Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 3 01-09-2005 07:29 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.