Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Sheepcamp

1957 26' Overlander
Lynnwood , Washington
vent replacement

I am planning to order replacement vent covers from VTS, to replace missing and leaking covers. In the photos shown on their website it looks like these may need to be riveted in place? I would appreciate any help and advice about replacing vents. Also, if I try to get on top of the AS am I going to dent it? I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I'm new at this.
Thanks!
Sheepcamp
sheepcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Easy Does It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepcamp
I am planning to order replacement vent covers from VTS, to replace missing and leaking covers. In the photos shown on their website it looks like these may need to be riveted in place? I would appreciate any help and advice about replacing vents. Also, if I try to get on top of the AS am I going to dent it? I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I'm new at this.
Thanks!
Sheepcamp
Sheepcamp,
I just did the same work on my 75, but installed good used vents. Not a big job and fixed a couple of my leaks.

When you're climbing on the top, try to walk on the rivet lines. Those are braces under the aluminum. They go the length of the trailer AND across the trailer. As always, don't get in a hurry up there. Think your job through and gather all your supplies you'll need to keep the trips to the top to a minimum.

You'll love the view up there, plus it gives your neighborhood Gladys Cravetts something to talk about!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Sheepcamp,
I just did the same work on my 75, but installed good used vents. Not a big job and fixed a couple of my leaks.

When you're climbing on the top, try to walk on the rivet lines. Those are braces under the aluminum. They go the length of the trailer AND across the trailer. As always, don't get in a hurry up there. Think your job through and gather all your supplies you'll need to keep the trips to the top to a minimum.

You'll love the view up there, plus it gives your neighborhood Gladys Cravetts something to talk about!
Gladys Kravitz is the correct spelling, but I knew who you were talking about.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There is lots of infro on these common subjects in the threads on this site. You need to learn how to use the search function at the top of this page. If you weigh more than 200 lbs., be very careful where you step. A padded piece of 1/2 in plywood can make it easier but you still have to be careful.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote