Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Vent pipe covers.. ???

Hello .. Does anyone know where replacement vent pipe covers can be gotten for Argosys..?? We do not need polished aluminum ones for $35 US each.. we are going to paint the trailer anyway.. any ideas would be appreciated.. What have the rest of you Argosy owners done?? Thanks Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Argosy owners..

Fellow Argosy owners..what have you done for the above problem.. surely there is another supplier other than getting polished aluminum ones.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I could crumble my plastic vent covers between my fingers. I recall reading that there are no alternatives other than buying the polished ones from InlandRV.com. I added some 'tooth' to the shine by buffing with the finest black silicon carbide paper I had. I primed first with an epoxy spray paint and let it sit two weeks before sanding it lightly again per the instructions. Almond-colored spray paints get pretty close. I tried two and Valspar was closest -- lighter and less yellow than the other. Valspar is based out of Minneapolis so you'll have to experiment with what is available locally.

All-aluminum Airstream owners have commented and I can concur that the holes are not in the same position as with your original vents. Plug the latter with Vulkem when you put the new vent cover in place. It did get annoying -- I swear I had to drill a hole at right angles into one of the frame members -- shortened the screw if I recall.

Getting the old screws out will be the annoying thang! I broke away my plastic vent covers and used vise-grips. You still might break a screw. The new holes aren't going to be in the same place when you center the new cover over the vent pipe, so it wouldn't be the worst thing to grind it flat and let a particularly stubborn old screw stay where it was (Vulkem any old hole, under the gasket at the pipe and at the base in general, and certainly where skin seams underlie the vent covers).

I drilled any necessary undersized tap holes in the skin and used new-purchased 3/4" #8 stainless steel panhead screws. Home Depot and the other big stores are awful for finding such things. I have discovered that the neighborhood locally-owned hardware has an amazing variety! Hoorah!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Here is a photo of the rear vent cover installed. The roof at the front vent cover was more curved than the vent cover itself. I haven't done a full fix for that but will probably not grind on it now due to heat buildup and the fact it is already painted.

It is good your trailer was in such good condition. I once thought that and currently am well through 2 of 3 necessary floor repairs. I did a bit of emergency recovery on bimetallic reaction with the end caps at the lower edges and marker lights -- as you might tell by the old dry paint next to the temporary fix at the seam. I'm probably looking at using my Argosy starting next spring (counting on no progress in the dead of winter).

How do you think you'll proceed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Vent Cover.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	8643  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Many RV boneyards will sell the Aluminum covers for less than $10. I have bought quite a few that way. Then I wire wheel them, prime and paint before install. Some of the older covers are an Aluminum duplicate of the plastic ones that were there.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Conway , Arkansas
I just went to a large RV supply store and had a choice of 4 or 5 styles. All plastic. I picked the one I liked and it was very, very close to the correct color. I did paint it when I did the entire trailer. I did add a screen prior to attaching. They were only $3.50 each.
76argosy26 is offline   Reply With Quote