Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Treasure Island , FL
Travel trailer vent cover needed or not

HI, we just purchased a 2023 Flying Cloud 23'. We were told that we should consider having the travel trailer vent cover installed on the roof. We did not want to incur the cost that the dealership was going to charge. We purchased the vent covers and were planning to install it ourselves. After thinking about it and living in the trailer for a week, we are not sure if it is necessary. We are very interested to know what your thoughts are about the need for the vent covers. We live in Florida. Our trailer will be in storage, uncovered, at least three weeks out of every month. Thanks for your thoughts.

Susan
surhdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you're talking about the covers that go over a Fantastic Fan to allow it to be used in the rain, then I'd suggest that they are quite useful. Never fails that you need to run the fans while boondocking, and then the sky opens up and they can't be used.

The rain covers are not difficult to install, and if you are comfortable working on the roof and have basic tools and skill you should be able to do it yourself.

I've handled this in a slightly different way - I installed two MaxFan Deluxe fans which have the rain lid incorporated directly into the fan itself so no external cover is needed.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
They’re nice but definitely not required or necessary. I’m happy that we have them.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Camped for years without them. Have camped several years now with them. I like having the covers a lot better. They are very easy to install. At least the Fantastic Fan ones are. Take out 4 screws. Put a little sealant on the screws. Re install 4 screws. Drop on the vent covers and put in the clip. Do it from a ladder on the side. No need to climb on the trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I can’t imagine not having them. We love being able to have the vents open as we drive plus being able to keep them open no matter the weather. It’s also handy when storing it for a short time to keep the interior from getting musty. This was the first thing I did when we got our trailer new.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
We have them installed and also like to have it open in the rain.

I was wondering how many leave them cracked open to help with condensation when parked and no rain is in the forecast. We always close ours but I was thinking about leaving them a crack open.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have two on my trailer. I leave the Fantastic Fan lid open all the time to allow some ventilation .
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
All it takes is to leave the vent open once when away from the trailer to see the value of having one after that rouge cloud finds your open vent and …

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
The Fantastic Fan "Ultrabreeze" fan covers are great. Installed them on both of our AS's. Took maybe 10 minutes per fan cover. Aside from being able to keep the fan open when raining (I also disconnected the stupid rain sensors) the fan cover protects the fan lid (part that opens and closes) from the intense Florida sun. Couple years in the Florida sun will cook the lids. Additionally, the lip edge of the fan cover protects the caulking used when fan was originally installed.

Make sure you get the bug screen. It is a separate item and costs about $10.00. Worth every penny. Some folks use the MaxxAir covers on there Fantastic Fans. They will work but the fan lid will not open fully. Use the Fantastic Fan "ultrabreeze" covers and your all set.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Being in Florida where there is always a tremendous amount of humidity, COMBINED with being in storage 3 out of every 4 weeks, YES vent covers are needed...they allow you to leave your vents open to provide some sort of ventilation to help prevent the growth of mold and mildew, while keeping out rain.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Agree with all posters above - not absolutely necessary but a great improvement. One of our fans failed to close while we were away for the day. Rained really hard and thoroughly soaked our bed. Slept a couple of nights on the sofa while the bed and covers dried.

I most agree with Richard5933 and hope to someday upgrade to the Maxxfan deluxe with integral covers. A friend recently showed us his. When closed they are much lower profile outside than the fixed covers. My Fantastic fans (original to this Airstream) are 3-speed and not reversible. A nice feature of these is 10 speeds and reversible fan. The lowest fan is inaudible but still moves air. Nice!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sacramento , California
I agree they are not necessary until you loose the the original fan cover blow off while traveling. I have never traveled without vent covers since.
dmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Keeps the bees out of the fan.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
They’re nice but definitely not required or necessary. I’m happy that we have them.
Same here. What I also did recently was purchase and install a vinyl cover over my AC, to keep the mud daubers out while the coach is sitting unused. I can tell you unless you want to do the work yourself (removing the AC shroud, then cleaning out or potentially replacing the hamster fan because of bending), it’s a couple hundred bucks for a mobile repair. Worth the cost of the removable vinyl cover.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Opposition view:

Wife wanted one installed for venting while traveling. Made sense. But. They look ugly, just like the cheaper roof ACs look ugly compared to, say, the sleek Dometic Pelican series. Without one, you can still run the fan in the rain by cranking the lid open 4 inches or so with the manual knob. It won’t rain in unless rain blowing from the rear of the trailer. In that case, the cover will just help funnel more rain in anyway. As for venting in storage. Just buy a couple buckets of Camp Dry from Walmart/Home Depot and set them open in the closed trailer (open vents let moisture in as well as out). You can get even more protection from moisture in the winter months with a small heater made specifically for that purpose.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote