Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
So Dometic bought Fantastic Fan and

I heard a funny grinding noise going on near the rear door... after a few moments realized that the rear Fantastic Fan motor was rotating but the lid wasn't opening. Messed with the remote and change the direction, but got NO movement. Stupidly jammed the handle and everything stopped... then I realized I should have.pulled the fuse. Well this morning it's running again, so I went to get a stool to reach the fuse, but it stopped on its own.

So I thought I'd better call the company and get a replacement part. Found out that azon had a plethora of parts for.sale... and Dometic has bought the co. Betting the guarantee is no longer lifetime. Should I just go ahead and buy and install the lift motor assembly?

Paula
Old 11-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Honestly, if you have to buy something I would suggest swapping it out for a MaxxAir Deluxe. We replace both of ours in our 2017 25FB and could not be happier as they are quieter and no more closing all the time with a little rain. You can also leave them open when driving if you like and they have a ceiling fan mode where the fan can be run while closed. Only complaints I have heard is the green LED of death which they have solved with 2022 manufactured models and if you have an older unit they will send you a new circuit board. I replaced both of ours with units from Amazon and they came with the new version circuit board. Hardest part about the job was cleaning off the old Dicor, otherwise it was pretty easy job. Link to ones we bought below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OrangeCrush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Honestly, if you have to buy something I would suggest swapping it out for a MaxxAir Deluxe. We replace both of ours in our 2017 25FB and could not be happier as they are quieter and no more closing all the time with a little rain. You can also leave them open when driving if you like and they have a ceiling fan mode where the fan can be run while closed. Only complaints I have heard is the green LED of death which they have solved with 2022 manufactured models and if you have an older unit they will send you a new circuit board. I replaced both of ours with units from Amazon and they came with the new version circuit board. Hardest part about the job was cleaning off the old Dicor, otherwise it was pretty easy job. Link to ones we bought below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'd concur with this take on things. We got rid of the FF when we had our coach and never looked back.

When I bought the Airstream home two new MaxxFan Deluxe units went on the roof.

We typically use one pushing air out and the other pulling it in. This works great and eliminates them pulling against a closed in trailer. Our units are before the new circuit boards, but in 5 years between the coach and the trailer we have not had a problem.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If you own a travel trailer, three things are inevitable: death, taxes, and Dometic.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I would replace with a Maxx Air. I added a new Dometic fantastic vent and it is cheaply constructed and loud compared to the pair of 20 year old fantastic vents already on the trailer. Dometic appears to not build anything to last anymore. They discontinue parts after a couple years forcing you to replace your appliance.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Another Dometic debacle. Dometic products are getting a real bad name. I have two newer Dometic water heaters and both have failed their circuit boards. And my 5 year old fridge rm 2510 failed its fuel selection switch. I learned from Camping World that they no longer support this five year old fridge.

I have installed two new Max Air vent fans and have had good luck with both of them.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Before you go out and buy a new moor/fan check your user manual
My motors turn when I power up the trailer because I left the fan adjustment wheel in Manual position. The thermostat calls for closing the vent because the temperature is lower than the set point but the motor is not engaged so it just keeps running. When you pushed the wheel back up the motor closed (or opened) the vent and the motor stops when it reaches the open/close limit switch.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The fantastic I have are 2 years old and the up/down control.can be turned manually but do not pull down or push up. They have remote controls, are reversible, and the screens are.pull off rather than six screws (yay). A covid face shield is still handy to keep bugs from falling.on my face when cleaning. Worse if you mouth breathe!
Old 11-11-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
One of the first upgrades I make is pulling the FFs and installing MaxxAir fans.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Checked the Link, Wow! Prices are up.

I have the ones in the Amazon link.
Sweet, they even close themselves. A PIA to set the parameters, but I never read the instructions, duh.
I think I bought a pair for less than the price of a new one, seems like just a few years ago.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
I would also recommend the MaxxAir fans.

I am not sure about the Dometic fan, but if you ever need to change out the MaxxAir fan, the base is the same for all models. It's just 4 screws and the assembly comes off leaving the base intact.

Makes future updating/replacing a breeze in my view. Most of the retrofit work was dealing with the base.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
It could have been worse. Lippert could have been the buyer.
Buzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
I saw it looks like Dometic owns Zamp now, too.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote