Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
skylights to replace vents for '64 safari

Hi, I am looking for 3 skylights to replace vents in a '64 safari.
I've tried a wanted add the past few weeks with no luck, anyone have any tips on finding them or suggestions on alternatives?
thank you!
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Solardome, Astrodome, skylights...

Try here: Inland RV about halfway down the page.

or visit this thread and build your own!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I installed the SEITZ Midi-Heki roof light to replace the front vent during my ARGOSY renovation.

This is a large, very attractive sky light. It measures 27.5 by 19.6 inches, so large that you can use it as an escape hatch.

The inside trim piece isn’t shown in the photos. It’s nice looking and provides a sliding sunshade in one direction and a bug screen in the other.

The additional light in the trailer makes an unbelievable difference.

The problem with installing this roof light in an Airstream: the Midi-Heki is made for a FLAT roof with a maximum thickness of 60 mm.

I forgot that the curve of the roof would, in effect, increase this thickness by about an inch so we had to invent our own mounting solution. We built and aluminum garnish for the outside and gaffed up a way to extend the length of the supplied connectors between the outer and inner pieces.

I had trouble getting somebody in Europe to ship me this item and ended up calling the factory in Germany. They are a Dometic company and put me in touch with their American rep in Indiana.

Art Wyatt agreed to break a skid of 20 and send me one. (I think they supply them to Winnebago for the VIEW).

I was grateful for that and I suspect that I ended up paying the OEM price, lower than what I was quoted in Europe.

Had I seen flyfshr’s adaptation in these threads I may have done that instead. It’s a clever idea. I may use his idea with the remaining two vents. (Maybe not the bedroom one).

I originally found the Argosy dark and gloomy inside. Letting in natural light and getting rid of all the dark coloured fake wood has made for a terrific improvement.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote