Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Round ventline bath fan

The handle for the bath vent fan finally broke. Has anyone found, or made, an improved (metal perhaps) handle? If so, could you provide details?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
sorry. I broke one too. I've seen some people make them from wood. I actually bought a replacement and the job was long and tedious. An Allen wrench kind-of- Phillips and a tiny wratchet with phillips head... Someone said that you can loosen the nuts on top and gain some clearance to reach to tiny screws. PITA

Best of luck. Someone else will hopefully offer better advice. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find that old thread.

best.
j
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Handle Replacement on Bathroom Fan 2019 GT

is the thread, not much help...
only me...
Old 03-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Here's a thread. i bought some thin brass stock and laid it in the handle and glued the plastic back togethe. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...en-228364.html
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ok, thanks all. I thought about just going to ace and getting aluminum stock and just making a stand alone handle, but I really dont have the tools on the road to do it right.
I think I'll wait till I get home next month, order a new handle and reinforce with metal.
Repairing the old one in this manner isn't an option, due to AS assembly sloppiness.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The handle for the bath vent fan finally broke. Has anyone found, or made, an improved (metal perhaps) handle? If so, could you provide details?

Sounds like a job for someone with a laser scanner and 3D printer, or digital machining system
make it out of better plastic material or metal
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Both the shower and bathroom handles broke on our 2019 GT. Tech at Jackson Center replaced them and lubricated the assemblies. They work smoothly now with little effort.

It’s a shame the manufacturer doesn’t lube them when they were made because they probably wouldn’t have broken.

I did a temporary repair with a thin piece of stainless steel pop riveted to the plastic until we could get to JC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C52EBA8-41D6-4FF1-A7F8-51520CBA4F45.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	412813  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Both the shower and bathroom handles broke on our 2019 GT. Tech at Jackson Center replaced them and lubricated the assemblies. They work smoothly now with little effort.

It’s a shame the manufacturer doesn’t lube them when they were made because they probably wouldn’t have broken.

I did a temporary repair with a thin piece of stainless steel pop riveted to the plastic until we could get to JC.
That's exactly how I repaired mine, except I used aluminum flat stock. I cut it out close to form and finished with a belt sander. It looked great and is still working just fine.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Fortunately mine has not broken… yet. To prevent this from happening, I sprayed “Dry Lube” up along the sides of the handle. It now moves very smoothly with little effort, removing the stress previously being placed on the plastic handle.

Dry Lube spray and Silicone spray should be in everyone’s travel tool box.

Hope this helps (once you get the handle fixed).

Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
Fortunately mine has not broken… yet. To prevent this from happening, I sprayed “Dry Lube” up along the sides of the handle. It now moves very smoothly with little effort, removing the stress previously being placed on the plastic handle.

Dry Lube spray and Silicone spray should be in everyone’s travel tool box.

Hope this helps (once you get the handle fixed).

Bob
I never thought about those handles breaking.

Sounds like a great item to add to the Spring maintenance list!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
not to beat a dead horse... the new best practice is to grab the handle close to the ends and pull down a side at a time. It takes a few seconds more but you'll be less likely to break that damn thing!
Old 03-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Aluminum

Gorilla glue the broken handle let dry. The find a piece of Aluminum strap stock drill a hole on each end bolt on. Its a nice look and stronger.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

I broke one of the vent handles also and was tired of having to be so careful. I removed both of the fan handles and built them up with Oatey epoxy stick. Once they cured, I sanded them down and painted them the original color. That, along with lubricating the slide points, cured the problem. Did something similar to the door handle. Added a grab handle so that the door can be closed quietly in the middle of the night, without waking anyone in the campground. New door handle matches the original color perfectly.
Gary_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
Mine broke to and I have the perfect solution. I had a old hose clamp (aluminum) and cut a section out of it to fit over the broken handle. I drilled two holes in the ends and riveted it in place. It looks great, so now the plastic handle has an aluminum insert. It now looks like a custom handle to match the trailer and it’s very sturdy.
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
You can buy attractive brass or aluminum flat stock from ACE HARDWARE that's the perfect width & thickness to lay into the recess...just cut it to length. I made mine the entire length so I could drill screw holes in the ends of the handle since there is thickness and depth to take a longer screw to secure it. Works like a charm..took maybe 15 min.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote