Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Roof vents

I just bought a 69 31 ft. soverign, My roof vents are in bad shape. Can I buy new ones? or should I have a fabrication shop make them of aluminum?
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Roof Vents

If you do a search, blue bar at top of page, for roof vents, I bet, you will be surprised at how much info there is.

There is a wide spectrum of views here. I like the roof vents that do not leak when it rains. Some have automatic controls with thermostats. Some of the old vents loook cool so consider fixing what you have.

The venders for parts are plentyful and competitive. Some parts are hard to find so when supply is scarce prices might be high. This forum can be very helpful and fun.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cardiff , California
Vent Info

Congratulations on your "new" 69! The forums here are very helpful about roof vents. Another great source of info can be found at www.vintageairstream.com. That website has a section about Restoration Rescources and a subsection about repairing Roof Vents and Covers. I was able to find a replacement Astrodome for my 64 Tradewind at www.airstreamdreams.com but, according to what I've read, I THINK InlandRV might have one that fits the 69 a bit better. And, don't forget EBAY! I've become ADDICTED to that site for those random extra parts that I can't locate elsewhere! Good luck and welcome to the Forums!
Ohanastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I have the skylight roof vents on my '75 Sovereign, and they were in bad shape. With a little work, a sheet of plexi-glass, some vulkem, a drill and some rivets I repaired the orig. "glass" in the roof vents. No leaks, and now they actually let some light in.

Lowell

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the reply
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Skidmark

Plexiglass should never be exposed to the sun. To do so will cause it to crack and craze in a matter of weeks.

New vent covers are available with thermal barriers, in milk white and solar gray, both for your solardomes and astrodome.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
plexiglass

Use Lexan instead of plexiglass. Lexan holds up much better....used it on sailboats for the same function. No need to spend much ordering something, just have a piece cut, tape and drill out the holes, caulk & rivet it in.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote