Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Question Roof Vent repair

Can anyone help me in finding vent covers that replace old original ones for a 1972 Intl Soverign? The three that are now there leak from years of cracking and distortions. They are plastic with 3 metal rails. Either metal or plastic replacements would do. I am not sure of their brand name, but they don't flip up like contemporary trailer vents.
I would also be interested in added fans to a couple of them.
If I purchased whole new vents (cover and housing), how difficult is replacement? Thanks ahead for any advice - this site is awesome.
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
Can anyone help me in finding vent covers that replace old original ones for a 1972 Intl Soverign? The three that are now there leak from years of cracking and distortions. They are plastic with 3 metal rails. Either metal or plastic replacements would do. I am not sure of their brand name, but they don't flip up like contemporary trailer vents.
If I purchased whole new vents (cover and housing), how difficult is replacement? Thanks ahead for any advice - this site is awesome.
To replace the vent covers, you will have to get up on the roof.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
been there, done that
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Probably the best thing you can do is to replace them altogether with something like a Fantastic Fan vent. That way you will get all new parts, and a much better fan which uses far less power while moving a lot more air.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
There are several Airstream dealers that have those parts. You can call around or check on the web. The fan motors are the same as the fan motors on the stove vents of the same era.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
what idroba said

Fantastic or maxxfan 1000% better 1000% more quiet 1000 more air circulation. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
new vents

Purchased 2 crank vents and 1 fantastic fan vent from Vintage Airstream. Folks were nice and vents were shipped quickly.
Now, I have to figure just how to install them as I do want to ensure that there are no leaks when I finish.

I read about Olympia? style rivets. Are these rivets necessary verses common aluminum rivets from the hardware store? I notice that the trailer rivets have rounded heads with a few exceptions where repairs have been made. Should I purchase these Olympia rivets for the vent installs? Do I risk leakage with the other common hardware style?

Also, Vintage sold me tubes of 'Trimpro 635' to seal the flanges. The metal crank vents did not come with gaskets. I guess flat rubber would be appropriate material to make gaskets.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Purchased 2 crank vents and 1 fantastic fan vent from Vintage Airstream. Folks were nice and vents were shipped quickly.
Now, I have to figure just how to install them as I do want to ensure that there are no leaks when I finish.

I read about Olympia? style rivets. Are these rivets necessary verses common aluminum rivets from the hardware store? I notice that the trailer rivets have rounded heads with a few exceptions where repairs have been made. Should I purchase these Olympia rivets for the vent installs? Do I risk leakage with the other common hardware style?

Also, Vintage sold me tubes of 'Trimpro 635' to seal the flanges. The metal crank vents did not come with gaskets. I guess flat rubber would be appropriate material to make gaskets.
You can forget the gaskets and just use a good bead of Tempro or Vulkem. The tempro will form an adhesive water tight seal. You can use regular hardware store rivets. The Tempro seals and holds the vent to the roof and the rivets hold it in position. The Olympic rivets do have more grip, but are preferred because the head cosmetically looks like the original bucked rivets. You are going to cover the rivet heads with Tempro anyway, and unless you hosting dancing on the roof only you will know.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
If they are plastic they are not original. The original were aluminum. Some had a solid center, some plastic to act as a skylight. If they are all plastic they are probably standard 14" roof vent covers. You can get them at any RV supply.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Now, I have to figure just how to install them a.
If the original roof vent holes have not yet been modified you will have to. The original roof vent holes have rounded corners. You will have to square the corners and do a little trimming to get the Fantastic Fan to fit. No big deal. The main thing is wiring for the trailer runs close to the roof vents. Be careful you don't cut it by accident.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My vents had a metal frame with some white plastic inserts. I made some solid aluminum inserts and pop riveted them to the existing frame. I don't think they will leak again in my lifetime.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Thanks for your information, esp about the rivets.
As for the vent, the flange is not flat, but has a recessed lip of abt 1/8" depth that appears to have been made for a gasket. If I don't use a gasket, I think the riveting will distort the vent flange and may enable water seepage. Kind of puzzled why gaskets were not included.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you have a photo of what your vent looks like?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for your information, esp about the rivets.
As for the vent, the flange is not flat, but has a recessed lip of abt 1/8" depth that appears to have been made for a gasket. If I don't use a gasket, I think the riveting will distort the vent flange and may enable water seepage. Kind of puzzled why gaskets were not included.
All vent covers that open, must use a proper gasket.

If not, they will leak in a blowing rain.

Andy
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
FYI There is a 70s full roof vent assembly with fan on ebay
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Do you have a photo of what your vent looks like?

Perry
Yes, but I haven't figured out where the 'Create album' link is. From what I have read, this is needed to enable one to paste a picture into a reply?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Adding a photo

You don't have to create an album to add a photo. Choose manage attachments under additional options.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
Center Roof Vent

I just took delivery of my Airstream today. One of the pressing issues was the oval shaped center roof vent was replaced by a PO with a cypress door panel. The cypress is really pretty now on the top side with the weathering but it was split on a joint and was not keeping water out. My idea is to replace the panel with a flat piece of lexan. Not only will it not rot but it provides more light as it functions as a sky light. Is there any reason why this would not be a good idea. I can attach the lexan to the existing brackets using stainless screws and run a gasket around the perimeter. The attached picture shows the opening with the lexan on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	150285  
Exsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #19

Clearwater , Indiana
i don't really know where this problem belongs ( )
but fan doesn't work and the windows won't open.
oh yeah and i am i Florida!
help ahah
ChandraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsys View Post
I just took delivery of my Airstream today. One of the pressing issues was the oval shaped center roof vent was replaced by a PO with a cypress door panel. The cypress is really pretty now on the top side with the weathering but it was split on a joint and was not keeping water out. My idea is to replace the panel with a flat piece of lexan. Not only will it not rot but it provides more light as it functions as a sky light. Is there any reason why this would not be a good idea. I can attach the lexan to the existing brackets using stainless screws and run a gasket around the perimeter. The attached picture shows the opening with the lexan on it.
Both the Astrodome and Solardomes are used for ventilation.

If you use a flat sheet, it won't stay flat unless you fasten it down. In that case, no chance of ventilataion unless you open the windows.

Some owners open just the backside of the vent covers, so that when your towing in hot weather, the trailer will stay cooler because of the suction when moving.

It does work.

Andy