Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Francisco , California
roof vent gaskets

Hi There,

I recently replaced the skylights in my 1964 Safari with new ones from Inland RV. Initially, I installed self adhesive gaskets supplied with the vents. Within 2 monhts, the exposure to sunlight caused the gaskets to separate and vanish into thin air.

Now its raining and my new, beautiful floow is in danger. Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks,

Nina
Neenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Nina.

Call us and we will send you some replacement gasket at no charge.

Please e-mail us a letter, so that we can take this up with Airstream, as they are the supplier of that gasket.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Andy,

Wow - a response directly from Inland RV - you guys are the bomb! I will have my friend, Rob Scheibel, who has done most of the work in my Airstream, call you guys tomorrow to talk about the gasket. One of the skylights is also cracked which he can also ask you about.

I will try to write you a letter about the failing gasket in the next couple of days. Thanks so much for your help!

Nina
Old 12-05-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Hey Andy,

I was just re-reading my first email and was thinking that it might have been interpreted the wrong way - that I was in some way implying that the skylights/gaskets from Inland RV were faulty. THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION!

The reason I mentioned that the skylights and gasket were from Inland RV was to indicate that they were of HIGH quality and not just some ad hoc solution to replacing the skylights. I posted the message because I thought my problem was more a user's issue that other Airstream owners would know how to deal with and not the result of a faulty part.

I have bought lots of stuff from you guys over the last two years to restore my Airstream and its all been A+, not to mention the wonderful custumer service. I always think of you as a great resource.

In any case, I have a feeling the gasket failed because of the hot weather in Davis, CA where I keep the trailer. That gives me 5 or so months to figure out how to keep it from happening next year!

Thanks for your help and for sending the new gasket!

Nina
Old 09-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
My vent gaskets failed also.

I had the same problem with the gaskets I received from Andy and he sent me some more of the same gasket material which I am not so sure I want to use again. Mine only stayed on for a few days and it was not that hot outside.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenm
Hey Andy,

I was just re-reading my first email and was thinking that it might have been interpreted the wrong way - that I was in some way implying that the skylights/gaskets from Inland RV were faulty. THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION!

The reason I mentioned that the skylights and gasket were from Inland RV was to indicate that they were of HIGH quality and not just some ad hoc solution to replacing the skylights. I posted the message because I thought my problem was more a user's issue that other Airstream owners would know how to deal with and not the result of a faulty part.

I have bought lots of stuff from you guys over the last two years to restore my Airstream and its all been A+, not to mention the wonderful custumer service. I always think of you as a great resource.

In any case, I have a feeling the gasket failed because of the hot weather in Davis, CA where I keep the trailer. That gives me 5 or so months to figure out how to keep it from happening next year!

Thanks for your help and for sending the new gasket!

Nina
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

What kind of material is this vanishing gasket made of?

Sounds like something that everyone should be aware of.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Possible Gasket failure.

To all.

We recently have had a several complaints about the ceiling vent cover gasket that we provided, part number 45346.

We obtain that gasket from Airstream, who in turn, buys it from someone, someplace.

If you have had any failures within a reasonable period of time, of that gasket falling off, please advise us as soon as possible.

Please provide the original invoice number, and we will replace the gasket at no charge.

Storing the trailer in a high temperature area, should make the gasket bond very well. It should not make it fall off, unless the surface was chemically dirty to start with.

Andy
Old 09-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
..unless the surface was chemically dirty to start with.
Andy,

What do I clean the plastic skylight in my '67 Overlander with in preparation for your gasket? All the strong solvents I tested before using wanted to melt the plastic.

I ask because I installed the gasket you provided, and have had issues. I want to figure out if I did not clean the surface properly.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
tcwilliams.

Ordinary soap and water works fine.

Andy
Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Ordinary soap and water works fine.

Oh well, that's what I ended up using. I will contact you offline if the gaskets I purchased from you a couple of months ago are part number 45346.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote