Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
roof access

Does anyone have some advice on how to safely gain access to the roof of my a/s? I need to re-sealthe vents and work on the airconditioning. But standing on a step ladder does not give me the right amount of comfortable access that i need. Would scaffolding work or is there a better idea. carl
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I made a plywood platform wide enough to span the distance between the first row of rivits on either side (lengthwise of the trailer) and long enough to cover two cross-ribs. At the rivit lines, I cut 2X2's tapered to match the curvature of the trailer top. The center of the platform touches the top. Padded all contacting surfaces with carpet. This works OK where you have room enough, but on some trailers there is just too much stuff on the roof to allow room for a platform. You can also fashion a padded board to place over a window frame and lean a ladder against the board and do the long-arm reach. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Scaffolding works

Use either a scaffolding or I used a multi-position ladder and bent it to look like scaffolding and used a 2x8 plank for a work platform to seal my roof vents and replace my A/C cover. Worked like a charm.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Don't look down

I'm about 160 lbs, and I use a ladder with a blanket leaned against my rig by the vertical ribs, I than carefully crawl onto the roof putting my weight only on the rives lines. I stand up and glide from rivet line to rivet line. I have replaced all the skylight domes and TV antenna this way without a problem.

Good luck.
Be careful

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A few years ago I had read and I think it was on the VAC forum of a person using a rope ladder to access the top of their trailer. This always sounded like a great idea if I ever needed to get up on top of Chummy. If my memory servers me right they put the ladder out the top vent and secured it to same, saying it was strong enough to hold the ladder. I think I would stake it or secure it to the opposite side of the trailer and then hang it over the top.
Has anyone else heard of this idea or was I dreaming?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
up on the roof

similar thread with action photos

http://www.airforums.com/forum...oof-19977.html
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Up on Top

Plenty of ways to do it, whatever your comfortable with. I use an extension ladder with the rails padded with some tru-loc(?) rubber gasket material. I use a body pillow with a flannel cover as a pad across the roof. The pillow is about 4' long and has worked fine so far to distribute my weight. I found it at a garage sale for a buck and knew exactly what I was gonna use it for when I saw it.
Ed
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Thanks for all the good Ideas. I feel better already about climbing up on top of my A/S. Thanks everybody. Carl
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote