Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
JAD
1 Rivet Member

Replacing roof vents

We are new to the airstreams and in fact this is our first travel trailer. Can any one tell me how to go about replacing roof vents on a 1978 Overlander Intl? We just got it yesterday and have no idea on what to do.

Please help.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD
We are new to the airstreams and in fact this is our first travel trailer. Can any one tell me how to go about replacing roof vents on a 1978 Overlander Intl? We just got it yesterday and have no idea on what to do.

Please help.
If you're talking about the crank up vents, there's an excellent photo-essay posted by one of the members here...I think his username is "dabler". step by step intructions and photos of removing the roof vent, and replacing with a "fantastic fan". I'll see if I can find a link....

Ok, here it is. go to the last photo, and move backwards http://www.airforums.com/photo...&imageuser=817
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Hello Jen
Welcome to the best headache you will ever find. Airstreaming.

Deer Park you say, Green Acres...... ah fresh air and sunshine. You do remember those right?.........just kidding

Overlander is the perfect size Airstream IMHO. 78 is a good year for one too.
Do you happen to have a Service Manual?

If not you are in luck. There is a gentleman who has downloaded the 78 manual to CD-R and will send you one just for the asking. No strings attached.
He is a poster here. Actually you ought to get a copy even if you now have the paper copy. I have a 74 Excella.
If I ever learn how to do it I will make a CD R of my year.(I have the paper copy).

Where & how did yall find your Airstream?
Don't be a stranger here and you will be surprised how it will fall into place.
But expect to find occasional bad news for a while as you explore your new aquisition, nothing that can't be worked through so don't dare get discouraged.You may well be one of the few that has no bad news. Here's hopin for yall.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One option - Fantastic Fans

Also search for "Fantastic fans - where and how"

I purchased a unit from the Forum member in Avon, Ohio, price was right, and delivery was as promised.

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/installation.htm

Last night I removed the old vent - will install the new Fantastic Fan tonight.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
JAD
1 Rivet Member

Yes, I am talking about the crank up vents. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
If you're talking about the crank up vents, there's an excellent photo-essay posted by one of the members here...I think his username is "dabler". step by step intructions and photos of removing the roof vent, and replacing with a "fantastic fan". I'll see if I can find a link....

Ok, here it is. go to the last photo, and move backwards http://www.airforums.com/photo...&imageuser=817
Old 04-14-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
JAD
1 Rivet Member

Smile

I am beginning to wonder if it is a big headache but I am not going to let it get me down...

Yeah I know Green Acres....

I have a service manual but the person (being nice) who had it before us has a 1977 manual. What do you mean he is a poster here?

We found ours in the newspaper.
Thanks for the encouragement and happy airstreaming as well as happy trails...

Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
Hello Jen
Welcome to the best headache you will ever find. Airstreaming.

Deer Park you say, Green Acres...... ah fresh air and sunshine. You do remember those right?.........just kidding

Overlander is the perfect size Airstream IMHO. 78 is a good year for one too.
Do you happen to have a Service Manual?

If not you are in luck. There is a gentleman who has downloaded the 78 manual to CD-R and will send you one just for the asking. No strings attached.
He is a poster here. Actually you ought to get a copy even if you now have the paper copy. I have a 74 Excella.
If I ever learn how to do it I will make a CD R of my year.(I have the paper copy).

Where & how did yall find your Airstream?
Don't be a stranger here and you will be surprised how it will fall into place.
But expect to find occasional bad news for a while as you explore your new aquisition, nothing that can't be worked through so don't dare get discouraged.You may well be one of the few that has no bad news. Here's hopin for yall.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
JAD
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info, I went to there web site and printed the information.

Thanks Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Also search for "Fantastic fans - where and how"

I purchased a unit from the Forum member in Avon, Ohio, price was right, and delivery was as promised.

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/installation.htm

Last night I removed the old vent - will install the new Fantastic Fan tonight.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Welcome to our world of repairs, your goning to love it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD

I have a service manual but the person (being nice) who had it before us has a 1977 manual. What do you mean he is a poster here?
Jen
Jen I meant he is a member here who posts here on the forums.
The manual he has on CD-R is the 1978 Excella Service manual, but you will find that most of the info in it is generic to your Overlander as well.
It is the best deal on the forum if you own a Large 78 as you do.
(Large = Overlander,Ambassador, Sovereign, and Excella).

I can't remember his forum nick but I will PM you asap with his address and nick.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Finished the Front (Cabin) Fantastic Fan - Fantastic Vent

There is no way I could improve on Dabler's Photo Essay on the replacement, so suffice it to say that all went pretty much as expected.

Time wise, it took a bit over 6 hours total, of course, no one was looking over my shoulder, and I was not in a position to rush myself, plus there was the "normal" learning curve - lots of trips up and down from the roof to get and replace things that would not be necessary the next time around.

I screwed it down with the supplied screws instead of riveting, I can alway replace the screws with rivets should the need arise.

The toughest (and longest) part of the job was getting the old vulkem removed from the roof prior to putting the new vent in.

I went through the usual arsenal of deadly chemicals, and found that Acetone did the best job for softening and final cleanup.

I resealed with Vulkem, instead of the supplied foam flange (used the foam flange on the bottom trim flange). The original Vulkem was still sealing after 18 years of mostly direct exposure to the sun in El Paso.

The best part was when I was showing the AB how the controls operated, and watching the cover automatically extend and retract, and she asked "just how much did THAT cost"....knowing full well that it would do absolutely no good to lie about it, I fessed up to a couple of hundred bucks. Without batting a false eyelash, she said "why don't you do the one in the bedroom, too".

She's not converted yet, but she's not fighting it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Dennis,

That story sounds a bit familiar..............

The 78 needed all three replaced so I had a built in excuse but I went one better on the rear vent. It has a wall mounted control. Can be automatic or manual fan speed control (These are infinite, it's a rheostat) and you can open and close the vent without having to get up to do so. It is also Automatic in the rain. Fishing the wires was a bit of a job, but it is really nice to be able to control the one over the bed without getting out of the bed

BTW if you order the fan from Adohen you can get it with an opaque cover so the bedroom stays dark even if the sun is up and going full blast. This is a minor upgrade, $5.00 I think.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote