Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #1

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Alfred , Maine
Replacing rear roof vent with fan

We have a 25' 2006 Safari SS. There is only a vent overthe bed. We are thinking about replacing it with a fan-haven't decided which brand yet. Our local Airstream dealer said it's a piece of cake - even though power has to be fished through the ceiling. There are lights not too far away but not sure if there are any ribs in the way. Have to assume the dealer knows what he's talking about. Has anybody attempted this?
Airdreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did not do it myself. But it was a piece of cake for my mobile RV service that did do it. I used a Fantastic fan with the auto close feature because we have used them for years. The max air with the hood might be a better choice. Do not know about the rib but would guess one will be in the way.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Done that. Yes, there is probably a rib to navigate.

Last I checked, downside to Fantastic is that when the vent lid closes, the fan shuts-off and there is zero circulation. Maxxair allows the fan to continue spinning even with the outside vent down. Also, Maxxair does not need a separate cover to prevent rain from entering.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
our as22fb came with low end fantastic fan.

we replaced it with the highest end model for less than $100.

is was VERY easy to upgrade.

Now we have
  • fwd/reverse.
  • variable speed.
  • auto rain shut.
  • auto temp on/off mode
  • plus many other features over the stock model

we got the upgrade kit off amazon
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
I have done that on two trailers and the wiring was already there. I prefer the Fantastic Fans and you can set it to stay open with fan off. Just set temperature control. You may want to consider installing a fan cover at the same time.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdreamer2 View Post
We have a 25' 2006 Safari SS. There is only a vent overthe bed. We are thinking about replacing it with a fan-haven't decided which brand yet. Our local Airstream dealer said it's a piece of cake - even though power has to be fished through the ceiling. There are lights not too far away but not sure if there are any ribs in the way. Have to assume the dealer knows what he's talking about. Has anybody attempted this?
I put a Fantastic Fan there. Power is available from lights if you put the switch by the door ON and turn the two or three ceiling light fixtures OFF. With this setting the fan will work fine and I never found a case where it caused any other problem...

The nice thing about having two is that one can bring air in while the other is forcing air out. I keeps things cool in the summer without using the AC
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
I’ve put a couple on an ‘88 Excella. Yes they were quite straightforward. Wiring was in place, no rib to cut. There are some good videos on YouTube. Search Airstream diy fan.

I used the fantastic fan with cover. This was mostly about ventilation for the dog when we’re away. The covers mean we don’t have to worry about the rain. The covers can be removed which may be nice on a long trip without the dog.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Airdreamer2.......I had my Airstream mechanic replace the standard vent over the bed with a Fantastic Fan on my 25' FB. I didn't want him to get the 12 volt power to the Fantastic fan from the ceiling lights as I would have to leave the ceiling lights on to power the Fantastic Fan. I believe he picked up the 12 volt power to the Fantastic Fan from the 12 volt line that is supplying power to the powered Ventline fan in the ceiling of the shower.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

2001 23' Safari
Yorktown , Texas
JJMetting

I may let you know something about the thermostat on a Fantastic Fan Commonly used with auto close .
They can get too much solar heat and the Switch not work properly. Auto close at times may work ok & other times & places not so well! As a repair shop owner shared with me. So I think the brand name of a cover hood is called Maxair I would suggest add that on roof top as added protection & make sure that the vent opens and closes with ease it will assist keeping
Rain water out & the bed dry! 😁 also it can extend life of the Thermostat depending on times of higher temperatures exposure and how high the heat gets inside the rooftop area there that effects the Thermostat they knew and I shared my past fabrication & welding skills with him & I will say I’m not a Aluminum welder ! I suffer enough from the past toxic areas I was in most airstream have various shell damaged and replacement of sheets may be better- that is for professionals to make that call ! My Safari has had many past road miles!
A Key Factor To help avoid excess cost is Fix any and all leaks asap especially hidden ones! Rust & corrosion at rear Axle spring is number 1 cause of frame cracking & braking at that point it is weaker with hidden Rust and THINK WHAT IS GOING TO SUPPORT THE REST OF THE TRAILER WHEN THE MAIN FRAME IS CRACKED OR BROKEN?
Plumbing leaks is how it starts out! Wood rots over time and sure it can be repaired; but it’s major surgery too! That is my knowledge skills but not making it accessible to get at! I have grand children now so advise is about all I will choose to do. I traveled in RV’s for most of my 30 + years of ferrous and non ferrous metals & not AL.
Us
Jamesmetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If it is made of plastic, I would not put it on my roof. Not sure about the newer trailers but the older ones had a metal box around it that also supported the roof. Why not put a computer fan in the vent opening and call it done and you don't have to worry about replacing the vent in a few years when it cracks and it will crack. Now if you are 80 yrs old it will probably outlive you and it is the next guy's problem.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Another factoid of Fantastic with the rain sensor is that if the air gets to the dew point and any amount of moisture collects on the sensor, lid closes and the fan will not spin.

In case it looks like I am pushing one manufacturer over another, that is not the case. Am just pointing out what people need to know for decisions.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #12

2001 23' Safari
Yorktown , Texas
JJMetting

I have a word of caution that must be used and save a lot of grief & problems!
Before attaching a Trailer to A towing auto - make sure the jacks are all up and disconnect Wires, hoses and Double check Clearances that no sharp turns will ccntact the RV Tree limbs anything above below or on sidea of the trailer!
I frequently moved into and out of very tight places & never had destroyed or dented anything! I did it by myself & how ? I used a step off method of heal to toe how many feet to move ! I used a movable marker stick , Rock , glove ect & moved to a stop point and walked to go check again. 2x6 or up to 2x10’s to back tires on if soft soil!
Space to the water & Power hookups was Main item to check & and needed angles how far I could go farward or back Day light or darkness Being prepared for nearly anything Adaptors piping for sewer & a Pallet Of reason size at the door way kept out most of nature’s elements! I even had my own adaptation kits to any possible needed hook up as Not every RV park had the finest of conditions!
Rarely but I did Understand & use All skills I acquired even to hook up inside a breaker box if needed!
Warning you better know exactly what NOT TO DO & How’s & whys of it! Safety is Extremely important!
So check the lights all function lenses are clean & have a dust gasket , no low hanging wires & a Good bit of Common sence ! I learned to assume nothing and check in advance Tires & Pressure Spare Lug wrenches , low profile Jack in my case , Spare boards for ramp to lift a axle if needed ! I still have a Holiday Rambler Alum lite low profile! And Acquired 02 Safari
Later Both are similar in some ways except that AirStream is much lighter & a 1 ton doesn’t care until need Fuel !!🤠
Many people will make a trip to any place and Forget basic things to make Your life less stressful just take a short trip and stay making a list of your must haves and check it off before the real time comes!
Strangers often were at awe Drive up and park at a grocery store put all items directly inside and sit down & eat or some else and go about your desired
Details!
It’s so easy when there is no need to make excess trips we forgot 1/2 of all needed items!
If Momma’s mad & Poppas stressed out - What good is that ? NONE ! Fighting is for Mud Wrestlers!
So YALL GET ALONG OR STAY OUT BACK WITH HOME TOWN CRITTERS! That way it’s a Very enjoyable time! Be a Friend to make new friends and mistakes that are made - So What ? By Far the most important thing is What Did You Learn from a good or semi bad lesson?
My Best Bosses screwed up many times as well as I did & still I had to fix up mine AND THEIRS TOO THE SAME WAY AS IF I MIGHT HAVE DONE IT !
Plus at end of dah job no body cared especially because we had fun doing what had to be done !
Hosses that work together can have fun doing so!
The memory’s are So well worth it all !
Jamesmetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
replacing vent with fan.

WE have a 2006 25' Safari SS and had both of our vents replaced with fans just last year. We bought them at Camping world and had them install them. It was a piece of cake for them since there is a light just about a foot away from them. Very happy !!!
jsiemieniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FF Rain Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Another factoid of Fantastic with the rain sensor is that if the air gets to the dew point and any amount of moisture collects on the sensor, lid closes and the fan will not spin.

In case it looks like I am pushing one manufacturer over another, that is not the case. Am just pointing out what people need to know for decisions.
Takes about 5 minutes to disconnect the rain sensor. I did it on both fans in our Airstreams. I also installed the FF "Ultrabreeze" covers in white. Perfect. No more pesky rain sensor closing the fan just when you need it most and I can leave the lid open and leave for the day not worring about any rain coming in. It has to be raining really hard and the wind blowing just right to have any water come in. Love our Fantastic Fans even more with no rain sensor.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
I did exactly what you are proposing in our 25' FB 2006 Safari. The trailer came to us with a Fantastic Fan in the rear, and a vent only over the bed in the front.

I pulled electricity from the fan in the shower, as although I had easier access to the wires associated with the ceiling lights (they ran right past the vent/fan opening!), that would have meant the lights would have to be on in order to run fan. So the next closest circuit was what feeds the shower fan. I had to navigate a rib (actually maybe two?)

The ribs have punched out holes periodically, so it's a matter of fishing the wire through one of these. I started off by attaching a ball chain (made of ferrous metal) to the end of my wire, and used a strong magnet placed on the interior aluminum skin, to pull the wire through the ceiling to the rib. I was able to use a long makeshift tong/poker to feed the chain through an opening in the rib, and then used the magnet to continue moving the wire through the ceiling. After it was all said and done, I realized that I probably could have done it with the magnet setup, as a variety of long thinks to poke with could have probably moved the wire through. The magnet method was cool though, and worked quite nicely.

I put in a MaxAir fan, and replaced the Fantastic Fan at the back of the trailer with a Max Air as well. Love that it is always protected from rain and it serves it purpose as intended. Great airflow through the trailer.
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Eunice , Louisiana
I am an electrician, run the short distance using one of these wire organizers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electric+...b_sb_ss_i_1_18
fricassee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
I like the Max Air fans. Much quieter than Fantastic, and as someone else said, they can be run with the vent closed to circulate air. I have had both.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroll View Post
I like the Max Air fans. Much quieter than Fantastic, and as someone else said, they can be run with the vent closed to circulate air. I have had both.
You are right on target. We have both in our trailers. The MaxFan by far is superior. We use it with the lid closed like a ceiling fan to circulate air.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Max air

We replaced 2 old fans with the basic max air fan. Love them! I was torn btw fantastic and max air but chose max bc it has more speeds and I can run it with the top closed. We did not get the model with the enclosed rain top. Just wanted something simple. I think they were abt $100 ea. I do have to close them if it starts raining but that hasn’t been a big deal. It’s easy. And yes having 2 is good so one can pull air in while other pushes out.
learthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
I replaced the vent over the bed in my 04 Safari with a Maxxfan. It was pretty easy. Wiring diagram for trailer indicated that there was wiring to that vent but there was not. Had to fish a wire to it from a near by light, wasn’t to hard.

I have a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen. Prefer the Maxxfan in the bedroom as it can be left open in the rain and I do not wake up to the sound of the fan auto closing and opening as the Fantastic Fan does. The Maxxfan is also quieter and be left open while towing.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote