Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Replace a fantastic Fan cover with only a "Ultra Breeze Cover" by Fantastic Vent?

Hello,

A couple of months ago, a severe windgust broke off the cover of my Fantastic Fan on '94 Excella. It was a heck of a blow, as it also snapped a 100' maple in my yard, at 30' off the ground. Since the weather at that time was so inclement, I temporarily covered the hole, and so now it's time to repair the damage.

Would it be feasible to skip replacing the cover dome and just install a "Ultra Breeze Cover" manufactter by Fantastic? On the inside, I would make an insulation panel that would be held on by Velcro strips. Would the Utrabreeze cover be stormproof, considering that the exterior vent flange would still be in place to divert water from the opening?
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Doesn't seem like a good idea to skip replacing the Fantastic Fan's dome cover, regardless of whether or not you install the Ultrabreese. There would be no good way to keep the outside out, including dust, bugs, heat, rain, etc. Even with the Ultrabreeze you'll have issues, IMO.

Might be a good time to consider installing a MaxxAir Deluxe which can operate without the need for an external secondary cover.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Doesn't seem like a good idea to skip replacing the Fantastic Fan's dome cover, regardless of whether or not you install the Ultrabreese. There would be no good way to keep the outside out, including dust, bugs, heat, rain, etc. Even with the Ultrabreeze you'll have issues, IMO.

Might be a good time to consider installing a MaxxAir Deluxe which can operate without the need for an external secondary cover.
Thanks for the reply.

Aside from the fact that the work and expense of replacing the entire fan wouldn't be much fun, the existing fan works perfectly with 3 speeds, reverse, thermostat, rain sensor, and it has a bug screen on the inside. And I think it wouldn't be difficult to install a bug on the Ultrabreeze cover. I think it might be time to go look at one in person, to see how well built it is, and how stormproof it might be.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would replace the missing cover and while you are on the roof, add the exterior vent cover.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
the PO was thinking ahead

Well, I went rummaging around and found a spare dome cover in one of the dinette seat compartments. It doesn't have a hinge on it, but I can probably use the existing hinge. Now, I'll just wait for a warm day.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smart move. I have two Fantastic Vent fans and both are covered by Fantastic Vent covers. I can assure you that rainwater can still get in if wind is driving it in the right direction. In a heavy rain my vents both close even with the covers.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Smart move. I have two Fantastic Vent fans and both are covered by Fantastic Vent covers. I can assure you that rainwater can still get in if wind is driving it in the right direction. In a heavy rain my vents both close even with the covers.
Considering the storm that tore off the original cover, the operable dome is essential, and the other cover is a real convenience. By the way, the windstorm wasn't also with rain. The trailer door was open because I was tidying up, and the wind pressure through the open door might have had something to do with the event.