Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Red face mystery vent

What is the purpose of the one inch diameter grille below the license plate light and above the rear hatch? The question is from my husband, as you all know I wouldn't have the knowledge to even ask the question. Silver Suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Suz,
since the profiles aren't working right, I can't tell what model you have, but I bet, like mine, it is for the battery gas. Battery gas? Your battery will out gas occasionally in its process of doing its thing, this gas is hydrogen. It's why you don't smoke while jump starting your car. The vent keeps the hydrogen from building up and adding extra thrust to your trailer. Makes you think twice about smoking on the toilet, eh?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Thanks John, I'm glad to know that Airstream is so considerate! We will be using sealed deep cell gel batteries (? did I get that right?). And will mount them forward and around the wheel well to balance the weight. Would this make a good vent for a small but powerful fan to suck shower humidity out? My John does NOT want to cut any holes in the roof anymore.
By the way I got back from the ocean only to discover that the top of the trailer had been painted white. My upset was immediately mollified when I touched the interior side of the painted alum. while touching the underside of the non-painted roof even shaded by the awning. Wow what a difference! If I didn't love the slinky look of shiny aluminum that defines "Airstream", I think I'd paint the whole thing white. Also the plywood underfloor is finished and has received it's first coat of sealer!!!! Yeah!

Profiles?,...... profiles?...I dont need no stinkin' profiles. Actually I just don't know how to do that either. Please don't rush to tell me how- I'm going in for a battery of tests to figure out why I am not remembering things. My John wrote down that we have a Ford E350 van 460 cu in V-8. Which basically means nothing to me, except gas guzzler. However it's painted to match an Airstream!!! Yes you may make your (that's a general you) catty remarks about ignorant and vain females! Doesn't bother me, guys. I probably won't remember anyway, guys. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote