Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
My first time on the roof-any advice?

I'm about to have to get on the roof of the 27FB to install a new roof vent lid and Maxx Air cover. This will be my first time up there. I didn't have any problems with the old travel trailer since it was a fiberglass square box design. But I was wondering if any readers might have some good suggestions for getting on the AS and working up there. Since it doesn't look like a tall step ladder will allow me to get on the roof easily I was thinking of putting a heavy pad or blanket, double folded, over the upper rails of an extension ladder to avoid scratches or dents from the ladder leaning on the aluminum...and doing something similar on the top where I'll be on my knees working. I also thought of parking the AS next to the house and getting on the roof panel from the house roof. But I'm open to some of your experience and ideas!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
An extension ladder with padding under it works OK.

When you are up there, it is best to step only where the ribs are located. That is easy to see by the rivets.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I lean a ladder up on each side (with a boat fender tied to each ladder for protection) and bridge across from ladder to ladder with a 2"x12" plank, and then I keep my weight on the board when I'm working.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Even if you are super duper careful.. expect to make little (tiny but noticeable) dents in the roof as you move about the rivet trail. Try to distribute your weight as best as possible and dont lose your balance.. its along way down!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Stay off the end caps. Stay on the rivet lines, and avoid the temptation to wear those new stiletto heels until you get back down on terra firma.

Grab a cold beer when you're done, snap a few pictures, and post them here for us to see.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh man.. we cant wear our stiletto's?

This forum is no fun anymore.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Oh man.. we cant wear our stiletto's?

This forum is no fun anymore.
What goes on in the AS stays in the AS...What goes on outside the AS gets posted for us all to see!!!!!!!

Just make sure the seams in your fishnets line up.....

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
oh boy.. we might be scaring them

Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
BROW324.... I've used a 10' step ladder set up next to the trailer with my wife holding the ladder so it doesn' move away from the side of the trailer when I get near the top of the ladder. I get up high enough on the steps and plant my stomach on the roof of the trailer on top of the awning rail and do my work. I'm able to reach a little more than half way across the roof when using this method. I've used this method to change the vent cover, clean under the Maxx Vents and to wax the entire roof of the trailer. Just don't do it if your wife is not happy with you!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I recently got up on top of my '74 Overlander to do some re-sealing around the vents and the TV antenna. I used a large piece of anti-slip webbing (sold in large sheets for putting under area rugs in your home so they don't slip) and then I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on that to distribute my weight over the ribs of the trailer. The plywood piece is about 16" x 48". This allowed me to use a standard step ladder to get up high enough and then just lean over onto the plywood. No dents, no scratches, and no slippy slippy. Granted, my feet never left the step ladder though, so my full weight was never completely on the trailer.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
well I took all this into consideration and ended up using a large pillow my wife made for our black lab to sleep on as a pad for the extension ladder. I put the latter against the rain gutter over the window adjacent to the roof vent and padded the ladder rails with the big pillow between the ladder and the aluminum. It worked great. Got up there and spread out a thick 3 x 5 rug, fuzzy side down and kept my weitht on the rivits...no dents -no scratches. Changed the vent lid successfully-took all of 5 min. The Maxx Air vent cover arrived yesterday so I'm going back up to install that tomorrow. Looks to be pretty straight forward and simple.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Umm..Excuse Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324 View Post
well I took all this into consideration and ended up using a large pillow my wife made for our black lab to sleep on as a pad for the extension ladder. I put the latter against the rain gutter over the window adjacent to the roof vent and padded the ladder rails with the big pillow between the ladder and the aluminum. It worked great. Got up there and spread out a thick 3 x 5 rug, fuzzy side down and kept my weitht on the rivits...no dents -no scratches. Changed the vent lid successfully-took all of 5 min. The Maxx Air vent cover arrived yesterday so I'm going back up to install that tomorrow. Looks to be pretty straight forward and simple.

And what about the beer and photographs referenced in post #5?

Seriously...we're gald to hear that things worked out well.

Regards,

Kevin

William C. Swinney