Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.dev View Post
I also want to replace the 2 x fantastic fans in my 2016 Flying Cloud 26 with 2 x Maxxair deluxe 7500K. You're saying the mounting holes on the Maxxair are not the same as the FF, are the new holes that you had to drill supported by a rib? I don't want to drill new holes where there are no support from a rib. Thanks!
Not much difference in rib support between the original fantastic fan and the Maxxair as there are very few holes on either that hit a rib. The Maxxair fits the same opening just fine and the holes in the center of each side line up so you can use them to get the fan properly located. From their the other holes in the sides are slightly different but it was super simple to drill new ones for them. I installed ours with butyl tape and Sikaflex 715 and they have been rock solid for about 2,500 miles now. We are currently on the Oregon coast as part of a long trip and they have been a huge improvement over the original fantastic fans. Only problem we have had is that one developed an annoying chirp on low speed early in our trip. I talked to Maxxair support and the said that is common and solution is to run the fan on high for 24 hours to break in the motor bearing. We ran it on high while driving for a couple of days and that solved the problem. To anyone installing I would suggest running it on high for 24 hours at home before hitting the rode. The other thing I might point out is when you install the inside trim piece you will note it has 2 screws close to the corner on opposing sides. I found (the hard way) that by orienting the sides with holes front/rear of trailer you end up with less gap between trim and ceiling curvature. I bet Richard’s install is the best way to do it right and avoid any trim gaps.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Desert , California
If that can be of any help to anybody looking at installing this fan, here is my personal install.

I used 3M 760UV adhesive sealant between the flange and the Airstream shell and attache the flange with large flange white rivets with a 1/8inch aluminum backing strip on the inside. I added a bit of the same adhesive caulk inside the rivets to finish sealing.

I figured since the fan itself can be removed from the flange that is on the roof, that flange did not need to be removable easily (meaning screws) as the unit can be change or repaired without removing the flange.

You can find picture on my rebuild thread, post #61 and #64.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f20...ml#post2579920

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f20...ml#post2580149
Old 09-07-2022, 04:28 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
The other thing I might point out is when you install the inside trim piece you will note it has 2 screws close to the corner on opposing sides. I found (the hard way) that by orienting the sides with holes front/rear of trailer you end up with less gap between trim and ceiling curvature. I bet Richard’s install is the best way to do it right and avoid any trim gaps.
Thanks! I read somewhere there’s a “special” inside trim piece for Airstreams that is curved to fit the inside ceiling, must be a special order when you order the Maxxair.
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:18 AM   #24
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks! I read somewhere there’s a “special” inside trim piece for Airstreams that is curved to fit the inside ceiling, must be a special order when you order the Maxxair.
I've heard of people using a curved spaces on the roof top to help seal against the curved roof, but haven't heard about a special inside trim piece for Airstreams (MaxxFan calls it a garnish ring.) Someone else may know more about it.

My install, with the wood filler, left no gaps at all on the roof or inside. The sheet metal is pliable enough and there is not that much curve along the top of the roof, and the wood provided a flat area for the mounting. In my view it's not possible to see any distortion in the curve from the inside or out with the fan installed, but perhaps an aluminophile would.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
That is good to know and I may check into it. The gap on the original trim piece is not too bad mounted the way I mentioned (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	422181  
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Guelph , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I've heard of people using a curved spaces on the roof top to help seal against the curved roof, but haven't heard about a special inside trim piece for Airstreams (MaxxFan calls it a garnish ring.) Someone else may know more about it.
Yup, see post#5 in below thread, this was back in 2018 but I hope/assume maxxair still offers the curved garnish!
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...xe-177060.html
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote