Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Maxim Skylights - Ownership Change

I write this note with mixed emotions but today I let you know that effective immediately Maxim Industries, Inc. and Maxim Skylights, Inc. have been acquired by Birdview Skylights of Fort Worth, Texas.

I wish I could speak to each of you personally and let you know how much I have enjoyed working with the Airstream community and the gratitude I have for all the support shown Maxim, and me personally, over the past 13+ years. But I must let this letter express my feelings and say thank you because it was all of you who helped Maxim grow this niche skylight within our niche product offering. And Kevin Li especially as you were the one who asked the question “can you just cut this down and trim this part?” way back in 2009.

It is still inconceivable to me that Maxim will be led by a new team but Birdview Skylights brings decades of experience and knowledge that will allow the two names to become one and most importantly – the Airstream skylight will remain a part of the product offering. While we plan for a seamless transition, please forgive us for any delays as we have two powerhouses joining together so there may be one or two bumps.

Over the next year, and possibly longer, I will be working to help transition Maxim over to Birdview Skylights so please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. My email will remain david@maximskylights.com for the immediate future. Otherwise, your point of contact will continue to be Toni at info@maximskylights.com Toni is well known to many of you and I will miss having her sitting close by but she has been an absolute pleasure to work with and has been an essential part of Maxim for many years.

Again, I cannot thank all of you enough for the unbelievable support the Airstream community has shown Maxim and I look forward to continuing our relationship under the Birdview Skylights name.

Regards and safe travels!

David Thornton - Maxim Skylights
MaximSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And thank you, David, for recognizing the value of the AS niche market. IMO, there is no other skylight available which is as robust and enduring. Mine are now a bit over 10 years old and I just don't have to even think about them...except to appreciate the light and view.

In addition, I did have a warranty issue early on, but it was handled promptly, transparently and completely with a product change. (the sealer oozing out between polycarbonate layers).

I do hope the new management team will continue the excellent products, service and catering to this niche market!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Thanks for the wonderful product and support David. To grow, all organizations must change and adapt and I wish continued success to both you personally and to the Birdview and Maxim families. we love our 11 year old Maxims. Besides being a great product, the range of options maxim has to offer seems to have satiated the varied desires of this community which is a feat in itself! - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #4
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thank you for your kind words Brad. I rarely posted on the forums and the times I did it was about sealant, fastening the skylight and not to caulk over the holes on the side. So that I can remember my posts shows the rarity. But i did watch and learn a lot and over the years the unit changed from options to packaging all in an effort to create a better product and make sure it arrived in perfect condition.

I look back and wish I had been a larger part of the forum but this is hindsight. As anyone who has picked up at our facility will note, we are just 30k sf and I made sure the Airstream skylights were given the exact attention as our other models and i think it paid off.

So it is very possible I may end up an Airstream owner. And if I do I certainly know who to contact if I have questions or need help - I think we have thousands of happy customers :-)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #5
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thank you Rich. As I just mentioned, I made sure the Airstream skylights were given the same attention as every other skylight model we produced.

The Airstream unit was so out of line from our other models that it was not even in the same universe let alone the same "ballpark". That is what made it so important to me, it's uniqueness was fun to have. It was also a constant conversation piece from our commercial customers. "Why do you build a trailer skylight?", "I always wondered what those silver trailers were" and on and on.

The employees at Maxim assembled each one knowing there would be someone's head within inches of the bottom of the skylight so they knew it had to be assembled perfectly and they slowed down and gave each one the attention I felt they deserved.

The Birdview group has taken on the many open orders and they will continue to produce them and I expect with the same attention and care.

Safe travels - David
Old 05-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Had my Maxim skylight installed 2 years ago. So glad I made the upgrade from the Standard Airstream skylight, it is so superior. Thanks for a great product and glad to know they will continue on under a different name.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
David,

On a personal and business basis, I can't thank you and your team enough! We ordered ours last November after our front skylight sprung a leak and clouded over. The AS replacement was not only stupid expensive, but when I saw what it really was...it was also an engineering joke!

Great vendors are hard to find! And your company filled a vital gap that threatened the long-term structural safety of our coach (and I don't even want to think about the mold issues!). Our AS Club recently toured our coach and they saw that the original skylight was like - there were a lot of wide eyes.

Thanks for putting in the time and investment. Fingers crossed your high-quality products will continue to be available to the AS community.

But, most importantly, enjoy the next chapter in your life knowing you've made a BIG difference for the AS community!!!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
The only constant is change!

Hopefully the change will be positive for all involved. When you fulfill a need with a good product, at a reasonable price and good customer service, you are bound to grow. You and Maxim has checked all those boxes.

Wishing you continues success!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #9
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Great Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximSky View Post
I write this note with mixed emotions but today I let you know that effective immediately Maxim Industries, Inc. and Maxim Skylights, Inc. have been acquired by Birdview Skylights of Fort Worth, Texas.

I wish I could speak to each of you personally and let you know how much I have enjoyed working with the Airstream community and the gratitude I have for all the support shown Maxim, and me personally, over the past 13+ years. But I must let this letter express my feelings and say thank you because it was all of you who helped Maxim grow this niche skylight within our niche product offering. And Kevin Li especially as you were the one who asked the question “can you just cut this down and trim this part?” way back in 2009.

It is still inconceivable to me that Maxim will be led by a new team but Birdview Skylights brings decades of experience and knowledge that will allow the two names to become one and most importantly – the Airstream skylight will remain a part of the product offering. While we plan for a seamless transition, please forgive us for any delays as we have two powerhouses joining together so there may be one or two bumps.

Over the next year, and possibly longer, I will be working to help transition Maxim over to Birdview Skylights so please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. My email will remain david@maximskylights.com for the immediate future. Otherwise, your point of contact will continue to be Toni at info@maximskylights.com Toni is well known to many of you and I will miss having her sitting close by but she has been an absolute pleasure to work with and has been an essential part of Maxim for many years.

Again, I cannot thank all of you enough for the unbelievable support the Airstream community has shown Maxim and I look forward to continuing our relationship under the Birdview Skylights name.

Regards and safe travels!

David Thornton - Maxim Skylights
I replaced both of my standard AS skylights with Maxim skylights. The Colorado sun destroyed the original ones. They cracked and leaked like cheap plexiglas left in the sun does here in colorado. Those Maxim skylights are much much better made and I am glad I bought them.

The powder coat on one of them started pealing away a few months after I installed it. I sent pictures to Maxim showing them the issue. I was told they would show it to the powder coat company they use, ask them why it happened and get back to me. No one replied to emails after that. The skylight now has no paint on the trim. It does not look so bad so I have not pushed the issue but it is annoying that no one responded and that I now have one with painted trim and one without painted trim.

It would have been nice to have someone acknowledge that the paint should not have peeled away or explain what I could have done to cause it to happen. I know I did not use any chemicals on the skylights and I installed both of them using the same procedure. I do have a solar panel mounted very close to the skylight that the paint came off of so maybe an mild electric field caused it? Regardless, I am glad I installed those skylights and I can live with one being painted and the other without any paint on the trim.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
We Sincerely Thank the team at Maxim.

Three trailers all protected by your company. Day 1 I felt the plastic wrap thin Airsteam stock skylight and said you gotta be kidding me!

Best to you and your family

Hervey
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #11
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thank you! The new owner will continue to make them with the same care we have put into each one.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thank you for all the kind words. It is so nice to hear that we made a difference. That has always been my goal, build a better product!
Old 05-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Damn,....on my project list. Should have bought and kept in storage until ready. I hope it is a positive retirement situation....

The attention to construction detail is where you surpassed all expectations. I am curious how this new owner will view the "slower to make the trailer" skylights..... If they are corporate....maybe I should buy now while your folks are on the line and not later....

I wish you the best. Just my ponder with an acquisition.... The buying company has a motive and it is not always you what drove you when you owned it.

Regardless, I do hope it is a positive direction for you and if you ever get in NW Oregon contact me....I can help I think..
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you David. I still love my Maxim skylights!!!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks David you have done the Airstream community a great service. My two skylights are doing great after10 or so years.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote