Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Saanichton , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Installing Max II Vent Covers

Anyone have experience installing vent covers over the vents. New to Airstream trailers, actually first trailer ever, so newbie here. I was wondering about being on the roof and not denting it and also the Fan-Tastic Vent's on my 2012 Flying Cloud appear to have a casing around it, making screwing into and bolting clamps from Max II covers look challenging? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
jamvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 233
The mounts for the covers I put on my SOB simply screwed in from the sides. I had a local shop do our first A-S, for a reasonable charge, and am trusting the rain sensors on our current trailer as long as we are in the campground. I wish A-S offered the choice.
You are right, it is a stretch from a ladder on the side, and you don’t plant anything firmer than your belly on the roof. Some use a foam base under plywood to distribute the load of a person leaning in. I would never Climb fully on top. A tall stepladder, very well braced is an absolute requirement. (As well as paid up life insurance)
__________________
-Don
(That man in that tiny can)
(Same man, Bigger can)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master
 
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,846
I have been on my AS roof dozens of times. I use 1/4" plywood squares to move around on.

I recently put a Maxxair cover on my Fantastic Fan. It is an easy job. You have to take down the shroud inside and lower the fan so you can put the nuts on the machine screws that hold the brackets on. Not a big deal.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,808
Images: 21
When on the roof, walk only on the rivet lines.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Saanichton , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
The mounts for the covers I put on my SOB simply screwed in from the sides. I had a local shop do our first A-S, for a reasonable charge, and am trusting the rain sensors on our current trailer as long as we are in the campground. I wish A-S offered the choice.
You are right, it is a stretch from a ladder on the side, and you donít plant anything firmer than your belly on the roof. Some use a foam base under plywood to distribute the load of a person leaning in. I would never Climb fully on top. A tall stepladder, very well braced is an absolute requirement. (As well as paid up life insurance)
Thanks for all your suggestions, very helpful.
jamvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Saanichton , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have been on my AS roof dozens of times. I use 1/4" plywood squares to move around on.

I recently put a Maxxair cover on my Fantastic Fan. It is an easy job. You have to take down the shroud inside and lower the fan so you can put the nuts on the machine screws that hold the brackets on. Not a big deal.
Thanks, taking down the shroud and lowering the fan makes great sense for getting access for putting the nuts on the screws
jamvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 95
In working on my 76, I have been using pieces of 2x8 etc to place between the ribs to act like a bridge, works well. I find a 2x8 or 10 is nice and wide. Just be careful up there it can get a bit squirrely as there is nothing 'flat'. BTW as another poster states, they do secure to the sides of the vent, pretty simple to install if your handy.

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,868
Images: 5
I had a large piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood that warped in storage. Serendipitously, it warped to the exact curve of the AS roof. I cut it down to the desired size and use it as my platform.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
Dennis C's Avatar

 
2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 147
I had two of these covers installed by my Airstream dealer. I think it took an hour or less to install both of them. It seems like a fairly simple installation and I'm pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	379865  
__________________
Dennis

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 909
I’ve never used a board when in the roof of my airstream, you just must be careful to stay on the places where the panels are riveted to the ribs. This video from Colonial might be helpful. https://youtu.be/HP0HVv6imbc

My MaxxAirIi covers just attached with stainless sheet metal screws, there was no need to disassemble anything inside. Took about an hour for two of them.

There is a magic sweet spot in positioning them. Too far one way or the other they interfere with the vent cover. In a perfect world you’d have one person on the roof holding the cover in place and one inside opening and closing the vent cover checking for proper operation.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 113
MaxxAirll Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I’ve never used a board when in the roof of my airstream, you just must be careful to stay on the places where the panels are riveted to the ribs. This video from Colonial might be helpful. https://youtu.be/HP0HVv6imbc

My MaxxAirIi covers just attached with stainless sheet metal screws, there was no need to disassemble anything inside. Took about an hour for two of them.

There is a magic sweet spot in positioning them. Too far one way or the other they interfere with the vent cover. In a perfect world you’d have one person on the roof holding the cover in place and one inside opening and closing the vent cover checking for proper operation.
I have glued carpeting to one side of to 2 2x8’sx4’, lay them across the riveted studs and no problem with moving around on top of trailer. I use 2 so you can easily move sideways or forward/back. I put 1 Max cover over my Fantastic fan this summer; a 20 minute job.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof pipe vent covers and fan vent covers stormbornSG Exterior Restoration Forum 3 11-09-2016 05:27 AM
Vent covers and outside propane covers robwok 1960 - 1964 Overlander 4 02-09-2011 11:56 AM
How do I install vent covers over my vent covers? bigjohn Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 1 07-29-2010 03:34 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.