Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Question How do I Replace a Cracked Vent Cover?

Hi all, Today we noticed that the front vent cover on our trailer is cracked and while it doesn't appear to have been leaking, it will only be a matter of time as the crack lengthens. This is the 14" x 14" type with a plastic (probably original) cover. It opens using two "screws", one at the front and one at the back. The screw thingy's appear to be attached to some sort of hinges that the riveted or otherwise bonded to the cap.

Q1: Where can I get a replacement cap with the correct attachements. The only ones I have seen at Camping World and other local places seem to be hinged at one end. Do the ones from InlandRV have the correct attachments?

Q2: How do you get this thing apart to replace the cover? My best guess is that the screw handled musy be able to be taken off somehow, then the cover can be lifted off the roof of the trailer. If I am correct, how do the handles come off?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Question 68 Overlander Vent needs replaced

I too have a vent that needs to be replaced. My 68 Overlander doesn't have the air, but the 14 X 26 vent in the middle that has a shroud over the top. I have ordered a vent from Inland, (very pricey!) to replace it. I haven't been around the top yet to check on this one either. Anyone who has any input on either of these vents?

Stupid question...but I have to ask...just how does one get to the vent from the outside? Do you climb up on the parts where the rivets are (frame area)? I don't want to dent my new baby! Or, break the priceless windows! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Becky
Old 06-03-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Joe here is a thread on Dome Vent Lid Repair.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=9582
Hope it helps. Hopefully no need to replace the whole thing.

Becky there are plenty of threads on working, walking, getting on and falling off the roof.
Do some searching.
But please be careful, about the only thing more precious than those rediculously priced rare windows is your mom's daughter, however I hope you are not as fragile.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Jaco,

Thanks for the link. Actually all I wanted to do was replace the vent cover, not the entire vent itself. I figured it out for myself last weekend. The procedure I came up with was:

1) Pop off the two handles by pressing a rod into one of the little holes on the handles. The handes are held on like socket wrenches, so as soon as the little ball is depressed the handle slides off.

2) Remove the screen that was held in place by the handles.

3) Pry the window opener mechanisms (the "screwy things") out of the brackets attached to the vent frame. They pry out at the points where the openers "hinge" a bit if you don't open the front and rear ones equally. Be careful to not pry too hard and bend anything because they need to spring back into shape when you reinstall the cover.

4) If necessary swap the opener mechanisms from the old cover to the new cover and reinstall by reverseing steps 1 thru 3.

In my case, the PO had installed a fantastic fan in one location and had kept the original vent (and cover) that was removed. I ended up just replacing the plastic cover (that came apart in my hands as I removed it) with the the aluminum cover from the removed vent. I just reused the openers attached to the aluminum cover so that there was no need to transfer the ones from the broken cover to it (which might have involved drilling out and replacing rivits).

Beth,

As for getting to work on things on the roof, I too have been leary to try to get on the roof even though I have heard it will hold your weight if you stay to where the roof bows (lines of rivits) are. I just use a sturdy ladder next to the trailer (the "Little Giant" ladder by Wing Enterprises - expensive, but very strong, stable, and adjustible - and "no" I have no commercial interest - this is just the best ladder I have ever personally used). If you remove the vent cover as noted above, you can sitck your head up thru the vent opening if what you need access to is near a vent. Just be careful to not get a bracket (where the openers attach) in your eye when you do so.

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #5

Deb

Need info on windows that leak and replacing the small windows that are on top side they are leaking and very cloudy. Do they have double pane or are some of them single pane? We are also repairing the floor. We just purchased this 31' Sovereign 1976 Airstream we may be in over our head it needs lots of help.
Thanks for any info, I realy enjoy reading all the forums. Deb
deb1642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Deb, welcome to the forum! Sometimes it's hard to find stuff if you don't know the terminology, and I think the word you're looking for is Vista View. Try this thread for starters

Vista View Repair

And then do a serach on Vista View for more related information.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote