Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Santa Cruz , California
Help replace roof vent lid plastic cover

Anyone know where I can order this part for my 1978 excella? it's the 9.5x9.5 inch plastic cover that goes on top of the roof vent over the ceiling fan/light in the front room of the trailer.

I can't seem to insert a picture on my posts, but here is a link to the picture on google plus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3x...it?usp=sharing

For some reason this site won't let my posts go up until "approved". very frustrating to have to wait on something like that when I need to interact with the community immediately
TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
It's simply because you are posting links to outside sites before you have a certain number of posts. Sorry for the inconvenience .
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I cut a piece of aluminum and replaced the plastic with that. Both of the plastic skylight vents were leaking on my 74 Sov. I really didn't see the need for the plastic anyways, so I just replaced it with aluminum...

If you have to have the plastic, any of the big box hardware stores sell plexi that you can cut to size.

-Red
Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I cut a piece of aluminum and replaced the plastic with that. Both of the plastic skylight vents were leaking on my 74 Sov. I really didn't see the need for the plastic anyways, so I just replaced it with aluminum...

If you have to have the plastic, any of the big box hardware stores sell plexi that you can cut to size.

-Red
I guess you didn't look at his picture, he doesn't have the aluminum lid with a plastic covered hole, he has an all plastic vent lid which can be purchased at any RV dealer.

Note those cheep plastic lids don't last that long.

I would just get a Fantastic Fan or Maxair to replace the whole thing (they use a higher quality plastic) or at least after replacing the cheep plastic lid get a vent cover to mount over it to protect it from the sun and as a bonus you can leave the vent open in bad weather with the Maxair or the cover.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Nope, didn't look at it. Saw 1978 and assumed it was like mine... So, what he said ^^^

-Red, caught not looking at pictures...
Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
Vintage Trailer Supply...I have ordered that vent cover and numerous other items. They are TOP NOTCH in customer service and very quick delivery.
theboyzmaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There is a used one posted in the classifieds. Roof top vent covers