Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Front Roof Vent Stuck

I have a 1975 31' International Soverign. The front roof vent is stuck open about 1-2". Not enough that normal rain can get it, but does allow wind and dust. I have removed the inside plastic cover and the frame/screen for the vent, but I am unable to move the mechanism with the plastic handle or with pliers applied to the shaft. I have tried not to put too much pressure on it for fear of breaking it. I can't get to the mechanism from below or above. Anyone have any suggestions for how to solve my problem?
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Steve,
Mine were doing it to a certain extent, I opened them all the way up, loosened the two bolts on either side of the arms, and sprayed all the pivot points with silicone spray. They operate a lot smoother and shut most of the way now. I am still having a little trouble with the front one. Not sure if I am missing an adjustment or what. That one is a real bear because of the intergal fan.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, Aaron. Unfortunately I can't move mine at all. Judging from what little of the arm I can see, it is binding to the extent that all it does is move the arm back and forth to the extent there is play in the pivot point. If I could ever get it to open all the way, I think I'd have enough access to be able to repair it.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Steve,
did you try squirting WD-40 or something else up on the mechanism? I am planning on replacing the front and rear vent with Fantastic Fans sometime in the future...maybe your future has just come earlier than mine I really like the Heher Vents I always thought they looked kind of neat when they were straight up.

Aaron
Old 11-25-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Yes. I tried WD-40 which is generally the first thing I do. I let it set for a while and tried to turn the mechanism, but still wouldn't budge.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Steve,
The next choice is probably going to be to remove the whole thing as a unit, then work on it, or find a replacement before you lean on the shaft and break something. I have found as a general rule if I have a spare the whatever that I am working on will last forever

Aaron