Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Fantastic vent upgrade instructions

My AS came with two 600BTA fans, non-reversing. I bought the reversing switch upgrade kit for the aft vent and Fantastic provides the schematics for wiring. Easy. The only technical part is the red wire has to be removed, cut near the spade, fed back through a hole near the reversing switch and then a new spade(they provide) crimped on.
But I also bought an upgrade kit to change the fwd fan to the 6600R, remote and all. The instructions with that are trash so maybe I can help a few people. I have attached the schematic for that and a few pics.

1. With DC off, open the vent and remove the lever arm knob assembly, 2 screws. It just hangs down as in the pic.

2. Then remove the 3 screws hold the unit control panel up and disconnect all of the wires holding the panel up. This includes the small connector for the rain sensor. You do not need to cut any wires at this point. Just take the spades off the lugs.

3. The red wire will need to be cut near the connector, pulled up out of the fan, then fed down through the hole in the fan housing near the reversing switch location. For me this was port side fwd. Then strip the red wire 1/4" and crimp another female spade connector on it. The kit did not have one enclosed, even though it says it is included.

4. The kit comes with a bare ended long black and white power cable connected to the unit. You do not need this, it can be disconnected at the lugs. You are going to connect the AS installed wiring back to the control unit.

5. Now reconnect the wires as shown in the schematic. They are all colored an labeled properly. Your black power wire is going to attach to the fuse holder and your white power wire is going to attach to the circuit board.

6. The kit comes with a new rain sensor but you do not need it. You will just reconnect the old sensor to the circuit board.

7. Reattach the unit back up to the fan with 3 screws, reattach the vent arm control knob assembly with two screws.

8. Turn on DC, program the remote as the instructions provide and you are good to go.

This is much easier that the provided instructions would lead you to believe. The whole job took me about 30 minutes.

Edit: system will not let me upload pics right now....

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6600R.jpg
Views:	2434
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	192504  
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sorry

For some reason I cannot upload my jpg pics, even though they are well within the size limits. Sorry, PM me if you have any questions.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote