Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Fantastic fans very noisy - wore out?

I have 3 of them in this '86 unit. 1 of them is working really well but the other 2 are very noisy and seem to run poorly and slowly.
Sounds like something wore out in them. A bit like bad water pump going bad in a car, maybe the bearings? Or maybe they just need lubrication?
Old 06-25-2003, 03:50 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You might check this out but I thought that FF's had a lifetime warranty. Can anyone concur on this?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic fans very noisy - wore out?

I would suggest checking three things. First, the electrical connections at the fan as well as at the fuse/circuit breaker panel for the 12-volt accessories. Second, remove the interior screen and carfully clean each of the blades (for safety be sure that power is turned off) - - then use a can of "canned air" (sold for cleaning computers) to blow away any dirt around the shaft and housing. Third, apply no more than 3 drops of a light machine oil to the shaft. When one of the fans slowed a bit in my Overlander the three steps above restored it to perfect operation.

The warranty on the moving components of the Fantastic Vent is two years. The acrylic dome carries a lifetime warranty as per the following information from the manufacturer's site:

Quote:
Fan-Tastic Vent provides a two-year limited warranty (lifetime warranty on exterior dome) against defects in materials and workmanship when installed and operated according to instructions. Should your vent require service parts, or if you have questions, please feel free to contact us by phone, letter or e-mail.
The link to the Fantastic Vent site is as follows:

Fantastic Vent Fans and Endless Breeze Fans

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Lubing the fan shaft

I noticed my fan has developed an annoying squeak in the past days (parked at home, keep it running to keep temps down). So, I decided to try the lubrication approach suggested in this thread. It worked great using Tri-Flow. Getting to the shaft is a bit tricky (at least for me), but here's what I did:

1) Removed the power fuse and the bug screen.
2) Found slot on fan hub to access Allen set screw.
3) Loosened the set screw to allow the fan to slide down a bit, revealing the fan motor shaft and adjacent bearing.
4) Squirted a small amount of Tri-Flow at the base of the bearing.
5) Wiped the excess lube off the end of the shaft.
6) Cleaned the fan blades with Windex, washed the bug screen, and put it all back together.

No more squeak and I'm amazed at how dirty the screen and the fan had gotten. Looks and sounds new!

I took a couple of pics, but can't find the upload button at the airstream photo site. Is it down or is it operator error?

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Lubing the fan shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by mcostanzo
[B
I took a couple of pics, but can't find the upload button at the airstream photo site. Is it down or is it operator error?

Mike [/B]
Mike,

The photo site is not allowing uploads right now. The forum owner Andy, has to restore software that was lost in the server crash a few days back. I'm sure he will post a message once the upload is available.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I called about my noisy fan in a 79 airstream I have just bought. They figured out the problem and are sending me a replacement part. NO CHARGE You cant get better service than that.

Kathy
Kathy Parker is offline   Reply With Quote