Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Fantastic Fan - where & how much

Instead of looking at the thirty-four thousand, five hundred sixty two threads of fantastic fans, can someone give me a quick answer on them, how much are they, where do ya find em, and can I put them on both my 68 Safari and my 76 Overlander.???

Thanks for letting me be lazy. Gives you guys somethin to do.LOL
Old 02-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Our '99 just had 1 Fan-Tastic fan in the bedroom. I have since installed 2 more in the trailer (replaced the bath and living units with fans) from <http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/>. Scott, the owner was very helpful and he was able to beat CW's or Camper's Choice prices. If you order it from him, you can get it built the way you want it. They are not hard to replace at all if you are willing to do it yourself.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'll second that....when I was considering adding a FF to the Bambi, I looked for a while and Scott has the best prices around on them and is very helpful..... he might be able to help answer the questions about if it will fit and how.

One thing though that I'd suggest is getting the FF with the rain sensor...I have them and have yet to see them work in an actual storm, but from what I've heard, they work very well.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan - where & how much

Greetings Tin Can Luv!

Quote:
can I put them on both my 68 Safari and my 76 Overlander.???
You shouldn't have any particular problem with either of your Vintage Coaches. If your current vent openings have the rounded or radiused corners, you will need to square up the corners as the Fantastic Vent requires squared corners. I don't know whether either of your coaches will need this modification, but suspect that the '76 Overlander will (my '78 Minuet has radiused corners on its vents so it will require the modification). My '64 Overlander had square openings and the Fantastic Vent representative who installed my vents at the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton, OH (1999) maintained the original Airstream trim in the bathroom and used the special Fantastic Vent trim in the living room. If your coaches already have the ventilator fans in the original vents, wiring shouldn't be a problem - - if they don't, you may need to double-check, but there should be 12-volt power available near each vent opening from the main 12-volt feed that runs down near the center roof of the coach (usually alongside the vent openings if my notes are correct).

Both Fantastic Vents in my '64 Overlander are reversible with thermostats and rain sensors. All features have performed without hesitation since '99, and when at a Rally, I leave them open on thermostatic control and never worry about rain - - they have closed promptly any time that it has rained - - in fact they don't even like fog or dew.

Good luck with your installations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Re: Fantastic Fan - where & how much

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
Instead of looking at the thirty-four thousand, five hundred sixty two threads of fantastic fans, can someone give me a quick answer on them, how much are they, where do ya find em, and can I put them on both my 68 Safari and my 76 Overlander.???

Thanks for letting me be lazy. Gives you guys somethin to do.LOL

Hi tin can luv,

We have been selling numerous Fantastics to "Airstreamers". We are mentioned further down this thread by "Dwight"

Presently CW has a sale on the 4000r. It is $109.00 or $99.00 for "club" members plus an additional $10.50 for shipping. Total cost $119.50 or $109.50. We can not compete presently with those prices. Here is what you get: a 4000r with a low profile base, standard smoked dome and white interior--no other choices. We try to stay below CWs "club" prices in overall cost --vent model and their additional shipping charges. Some people think that they get $1.00 shipping for items over $75.00 but you will see some items have additional shipping and vents presently are one of them.

From the standpoint of the Low profile base , most older Airstreams have a 1 1/2" roof to finished ceiling thickness. Using a low profile base makes the lift knob protrude about 1 1/8" below the ceiling on this model. Most vents we have sold to "Airstreamers" have been the high profile base because it offers less protrusion of the lift knob into the headroom and it was the one in use when the "Aistream Garnish" was designed.
The low profile base was placed into production around 2000.

We offer a choice of dome style, flat or standard, 4 dome colors and a choice of "Airstream Garnishes" in white or off-white.
Some of the "wide" body Airstreams can use a flat garnish and this provides an additional interior color of gray.

The easiest way to check what you need is to take a straight piece of cardboard and cut it to 16 1/2" , go into the Airstream and place it in the center, side to side. If you have a gap in the middle to the ceiling of 3/8" to 5/8" an "Airstream Garnish" would look nicer.

For those worried about installation we have various websites of owners who documented their installation of their Fantastic. It is located at http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/installation.htm

If any of you have other site we don't know about please send them to me.

I hope this is not to much hype for the business. I hope some education has occured with some knowledgeable consumers
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Scott,

Welcome to the forum!

I purchased 3 of the fans from you all with different features and domes. I really appreciate the assistance you provided me. As you will see elsewhere on the forum offering sage advice to help members while also mentioning BTW I sell this is allowed as long as it does not turn into a sales pitch. If you have concerns on this please PM me.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Scott,

Welcome to the forum!

I purchased 3 of the fans from you all with different features and domes. I really appreciate the assistance you provided me. As you will see elsewhere on the forum offering sage advice to help members while also mentioning BTW I sell this is allowed as long as it does not turn into a sales pitch. If you have concerns on this please PM me.
Hi Brett,
Thank you for the response. I actually signed up for this forum quite a while back but everytime I tried to log on I could not; even after I sent my email for a lost password and tried the new password returned to me, I had no luck.

I appreciate all orders very much. Yours especially. I treat orders or questions like precious seedlings. I try hard to know my products and how they fit on various RVs.

I will welcome Fantastic Vent questions from the list and leave my Email notification on so I might be able to respond within a short period of time. Some days are so hectic the response might not be the same day.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote