Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Fantastic fan vents not opening automatically

The Fantastic Fan vents are not raising and lowering automatically using the switch on the fan. I have to use the manual crank to do it. The automatic function stopped working after I mistakenly left them open in the morning and a storm came in (with wind and rain) while we were out for the day. The fans themselves still work once I manually crank the vent open. I checked the fuses and they seem intact.

The trailer is back in storage, so unfortunately I can't troubleshoot right away. But hoping for some ideas so I can drive down to the storage place and try a bunch of things at the same time. Thanks.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Check, if you have an additional cover, your secondary cover may have shifted and needs to be realigned.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
Check, if you have an additional cover, your secondary cover may have shifted and needs to be realigned.
Do I access the covers from the outside of the trailer?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Your secondary cover you would access from outside. Sometimes 1/8th of an inch matters on mine. Have you tried starting the process manually and then hit the switch?
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
Your secondary cover you would access from outside. Sometimes 1/8th of an inch matters on mine. Have you tried starting the process manually and then hit the switch?
No, didn't try that. I'll do both of these things when I go down to storage this weekend.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
If your model fan has a rain sensor strip,it might be faulty and causing this.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
The fans will auto close on rain.

they do not auto open. that is by design
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

It could be the seals are sticking. Mine do the same as OP when I don't lube the seals regularly, or it sits in the elements for a while. A little Armour-all, WD-40, or the like, has always worked for me.
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters View Post
The Fantastic Fan vents are not raising and lowering automatically using the switch on the fan. I have to use the manual crank to do it. The automatic function stopped working after I mistakenly left them open in the morning and a storm came in (with wind and rain) while we were out for the day. The fans themselves still work once I manually crank the vent open. I checked the fuses and they seem intact.

The trailer is back in storage, so unfortunately I can't troubleshoot right away. But hoping for some ideas so I can drive down to the storage place and try a bunch of things at the same time. Thanks.
Your issue is probably pretty easy to resolve. Open the fan cover from inside using the automatic mode. Get on the roof with a very fine 000 steel wool pad (or kitchen type non-soap pan scrubber), one wet/one dry rag(s) and windex. Look for your copper color rain sensor strip and lightly rub the steel wool over the strip to remove any dirt/film/oxidation. Don't be surprised if the steel wool causes the lid to start closing as it may complete the 12 volt circuit. After the sensor is clean, put the wet rag on & off the sensor. It will probably work up & down like rain. You can then use a rag and Windex to clean up as needed. Good luck!
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Humor me... Is not the "secondary" cover an add-on?
If in fact it was in place it would seem there would be some protection from the damage the original poster has described.

I am guessing that no secondary cover has been installed.
I would first start with the rain sensor which has already been mentioned.

On second thought maybe I should've mentioned this first.

The power switch...it took me at least a few years before I realized that the fan speed switch had to be at least at the first position before the motor would operate and lift/close the cover. 😏

Note... Both our fans have the separate in and out fan rocker switch.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Trying clearing any debris. For me that is usually the problem, as the dirt & dust gets in there and makes it difficult for the automatic to work (hand crank usually works though in this case).
uxdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Refere back to Bob’’s post and read again. Very the rotary fan switch is not in the off position. Seams very odd, two fans failing with the same problem at the same time.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
Refere back to Bob’’s post and read again. Very the rotary fan switch is not in the off position. Seams very odd, two fans failing with the same problem at the same time.
Not if you're like me and in the habit of turning the speed switch to the off position and then bitch in like a baby when it wouldn't come back on.😂

And guess what, now when using the trailer I always leave the speed switch in position one. No more baby Bitchin.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
The fans will auto close on rain.

they do not auto open. that is by design
I don't know if others have an interest in this, but it seems to me that when the cover closes because of a few drops of rain, it would ne nice if it could automatically reopen after a certain delay. It could be programmed to open after 15 min; if it closes again due to rain, then the next attempt could be after a 30 minute delay, and if it closes again because of persistent rain, then it would remain closed. Just a thought...
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I don't know if others have an interest in this, but it seems to me that when the cover closes because of a few drops of rain, it would ne nice if it could automatically reopen after a certain delay. It could be programmed to open after 15 min; if it closes again due to rain, then the next attempt could be after a 30 minute delay, and if it closes again because of persistent rain, then it would remain closed. Just a thought...
I would appreciate this. Seems like this happened to me before last year.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #16
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I hesitate to agree ...

With Robert Cross, but in this case ... if the fan speed switch is in the "0" position it won't make any difference what position the fan open/close switch is in. The fan speed switch has to be in "1," "2" or "3" for the fan open/close switch to allow the fan cover to be opened electrically (not automatically) using the lid motor.

The (Not-So) Fantastic Fans and the battery 12 VDC Use/Store switch have caused me, and several 'Streamers I have talked with, considerable grief. They are dinosaurs in today's world, and simply aggravating no matter how one looks at it. (My project to come up with a working, understandable Use/Store switch replacement had to go on the back burner this summer. I'm hoping to get back to it in late winter/early spring. My luck--by then AS will be providing something totally correct--but there will still be tens of thousands of older Use/Store switches out there needing replacement to make them really indicative of their name.)

Anyway, I have to agree with Robert Cross on this one. The fan speed switch has to be NOT in "0" for the fan lid to open or close electrically. Of course, it could still be the rain sensor. Or the closed position limit switch that's out of whack or damaged by the rain water. And, the fan lid doesn't open automatically--it only opens electrically using the fan lid motor when the fan speed switch is NOT in "0" AND the fan open/close switch is moved to the opposite position. (If the fan lid closes automatically when rain is detected, it will stop closing when it reaches the closed position (probably a limit switch). And, the ONLY thing that need be done to get it to open electrically (using the fan lid motor) is to switch the fan open/close switch to the opposite position from the one it was in when the fan automatically closed.)
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Rockwood , Michigan
Fantastic Fans not opening

We have a 2019 FC25RBQ.
I have found that if my fans closed automatically because the rain sensors were activated, I have to turn the main power switch off and then on again before I can get the Fantastic Fans to open again by pressing the fan open switch. In my experience, they will not reopen automatically when it stops raining

Here is a link to a YouTube video that may be helpful:

https://youtu.be/O5rqzbK3bTo

Steve
SVMC fc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Sault Ste. Marie , Ontario
fantastic fan

I hate to " cross " the experts, BUT my fan reopen when the sensor dries out. It will take a while but it happens. My fans vary in age so I can not but a year on them. Perhaps your sensor is still wet. Just say'n !
first choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
One of mine quit, but I climbed up top, tightened the wire leads and wa-la!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The old Fantastic fans would reopen after the moisture sensor dried out; the newer ones shut when there is moisture, but to reopen the vent yo u have to switch it off (and the vent actually closes a bit tighter) so that it resets itself to allow it to reopen. Most of my issues have involved the switch that is similar to the door post light switch on a car (which turns the interior light on when the door is opened) that is located where the cover is hinged. That switch senses whether the cover is open or closed and, if opened, actually turns the fan motor on. When depressed, it turns the fan motor off.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote