Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
richard5933 & VeloBuckeye

The MaxxAir Deluxe fan looks like a nice upgrade I would like to consider. I see lots of negative reviews on Amazon stating they can not handle anything over 13.6V and some have had failures with Lithium battery charging systems. Either of you have lithium and/or had over voltage problems with them?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Victoria , British Columbia
We love our "Ultra Breeze" covers for our Fantastic fans - we chose "smoke" - it seems to be the most transparent from inside the trailer providing great light. This colour looks great when viewed from outside as they match up with the colour of the big front windows. When we bought our covers we could not get the extra slide in bug screen - I would recommend that if worried about excessive bugs. We find the covers to be a great addition to the trailer - we can leave them open while driving as they are protection to the regular vent covers providing great air circulation as we drive. The covers allow the inner fan covers to open to the proper height. They were an easy install. We would recommend them.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I've had both light white, and charcoal over the years; Always had Maxair. Currently we are back to white. No issues; both let in some light, the white a bit more brite for sure. They work very well; this set is going on year 4.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The video ad you included in your post was the one that sold me on getting them for my AS several years ago. You asked:
What are your experiences with:
Color Choice - White. I would stick with white if I could do it over.
Functionality - Does it do what you expect: Yes, in spades.
Noise - Storm, or Wind issues. None
Durability: They have held up well.
I recommend you get the optional insect screens. I have not had the insect issues others are talking about in this thread.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #25
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
richard5933 & VeloBuckeye

The MaxxAir Deluxe fan looks like a nice upgrade I would like to consider. I see lots of negative reviews on Amazon stating they can not handle anything over 13.6V and some have had failures with Lithium battery charging systems. Either of you have lithium and/or had over voltage problems with them?
No lithium here. The highest voltage mine sees is about 14.6v right now. I disconnect all internal circuits when equalizing the batteries.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Anyone know the open height of the MaxxAir Deluxe fan. I want to install one on my Airstream 310 motorhome but their is a round antenna mounted in back of the old one and want to see if the Maxxair would fit.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #27
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Fantastic Fan Vent Rain Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
We love our "Ultra Breeze" covers for our Fantastic fans - we chose "smoke" - it seems to be the most transparent from inside the trailer providing great light. This colour looks great when viewed from outside as they match up with the colour of the big front windows. When we bought our covers we could not get the extra slide in bug screen - I would recommend that if worried about excessive bugs. We find the covers to be a great addition to the trailer - we can leave them open while driving as they are protection to the regular vent covers providing great air circulation as we drive. The covers allow the inner fan covers to open to the proper height. They were an easy install. We would recommend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I've had both light white, and charcoal over the years; Always had Maxair. Currently we are back to white. No issues; both let in some light, the white a bit more brite for sure. They work very well; this set is going on year 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
The video ad you included in your post was the one that sold me on getting them for my AS several years ago. You asked:
What are your experiences with:
Color Choice - White. I would stick with white if I could do it over.
Functionality - Does it do what you expect: Yes, in spades.
Noise - Storm, or Wind issues. None
Durability: They have held up well.
I recommend you get the optional insect screens. I have not had the insect issues others are talking about in this thread.
Thank you all for your input! Great points to take in consideration with this little project. I'm thinking that screens will help keeping out those bugs that end up in the fan blades currently.

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
We have the smoke colored max air vent covers. I replaced them last fall as the ones before had finally started to crack and split after 25 years. I never close my vents year round. As far as light, I bought a couple of vent covers from Campers Choice several years ago. They are insulated square vinyl covers that snap into place. The good part is I can unsnap half of it and still block sunlight and use the fan. Good for boondocking.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #29
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
Anyone know the open height of the MaxxAir Deluxe fan. I want to install one on my Airstream 310 motorhome but their is a round antenna mounted in back of the old one and want to see if the Maxxair would fit.
Check half way down the page with this link for detailed dimensions and info: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...00-07000K.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
We have the smoke colored max air vent covers. I replaced them last fall as the ones before had finally started to crack and split after 25 years. I never close my vents year round. As far as light, I bought a couple of vent covers from Campers Choice several years ago. They are insulated square vinyl covers that snap into place. The good part is I can unsnap half of it and still block sunlight and use the fan. Good for boondocking.
Wow you certainly got your moneys worth out of those covers! Thanks for the pointer to the Campers Choice Covers.

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-trot View Post
Following :-). I am curious about the light question as well!
When we put them on our coach this year, I would have preferred the smoke color…..just looks better IMO. However, went with the white to maximize ambient light coming through.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #31
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
When we put them on our coach this year, I would have preferred the smoke color…..just looks better IMO. However, went with the white to maximize ambient light coming through.
That's interesting. What I had read is that the smoke color had more light penetration. Wonder if there is a definitive answer to this, or if it varies by brand?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:54 AM   #32
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm thinking a coat of black paint on the interior of a white rain cover will darken things up from the interior point of view. That would keep the exterior color white matching the esthetics of the roof, with the added plus of reflecting some radiant heating the sun can provide.

Essentially we'd prefer less light transmission for the bedroom fan opening. If the painting doesn't resolve the issue there have been many suggestions in the thread for other "light blocking" options.

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-23-2022, 06:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Thanks for the info at eTrailer, I looked on Max Air site and had nothing. That info was what I needed
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #34
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
Thanks for the info at eTrailer, I looked on Max Air site and had nothing. That info was what I needed
You're welcome! So surprised the manufacturer didn't have similar info. They've got a pretty good installation video also if you pick through their page.

Now I'm thinking new fans...or new covers...lol

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 08-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
my fantastic fan stopped working. fuse on the fan is good. has anyone had this happen? 2019 flying cloud
mdschaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Shoreline , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschaefer View Post
my fantastic fan stopped working. fuse on the fan is good. has anyone had this happen? 2019 flying cloud

yes, several times on our caravel 2020. all of a sudden, presto, works again with no attempt to fix. Very frustrating
bparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschaefer View Post

md - I think the primary reason the fans will shut off is when they detect moisture coming in i.e. rain. High humidity (drips?) also seem to stop them. I replaced fuses in both fans just to be sure bad fuses weren't the problem. After having exterior fan covers with insect screens installed, the mysterious 'stopping' of the fans ended. With the protective covers in place, I think that's because the moisture sensor (short, skinny metal probe above the blades) is no longer sensing water.

BTW everyone - I spent over 6 months on the road this year and the circular screens on fans were filthy. A YouTube showed me how easy it is to clean them up like new. Carefully snap off the screen and wash. Unscrew the little Phillips screw in the middle of the fan blades and pull it off and clean. Put it back together again. Wish I had been doing this all along. Duh.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
md - I think the primary reason the fans will shut off is when they detect moisture coming in i.e. rain. High humidity (drips?) also seem to stop them. I replaced fuses in both fans just to be sure bad fuses weren't the problem. After having exterior fan covers with insect screens installed, the mysterious 'stopping' of the fans ended. With the protective covers in place, I think that's because the moisture sensor (short, skinny metal probe above the blades) is no longer sensing water.

BTW everyone - I spent over 6 months on the road this year and the circular screens on fans were filthy. A YouTube showed me how easy it is to clean them up like new. Carefully snap off the screen and wash. Unscrew the little Phillips screw in the middle of the fan blades and pull it off and clean. Put it back together again. Wish I had been doing this all along. Duh.
This is the 'rain sensor.

I wipe it once a year with a green scrubby and brakleen, SFSG

The short skinny metal tube is the unit that doesn't work sensing anything, air temp I think.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Those of you that have replaced your fans, what are you using for a sealant around the exterior of the new fan (to keep water out) ? Mine are making more noise as time goes by, and I'm tired of the moisture induced auto-closing, so I have 2 new (MaxxAir deluxe) fans, just need a good weather day to start the replacement effort, but I now realize I need to get some feedback regarding the weatherproofing of the installation. Thanks in advance for sharing details or suggestions.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #40
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Those of you that have replaced your fans, what are you using for a sealant around the exterior of the new fan (to keep water out) ? Mine are making more noise as time goes by, and I'm tired of the moisture induced auto-closing, so I have 2 new (MaxxAir deluxe) fans, just need a good weather day to start the replacement effort, but I now realize I need to get some feedback regarding the weatherproofing of the installation. Thanks in advance for sharing details or suggestions.
I used butyl tape between the flange and the roof, and then Dicor self leveling over the screws and flange edges. No need for more.

To provide a very solid mounting I also inserted woid cut down from a 2x4 around the perimeter between the inner and outer skins. This gave some solid for the flange and inner trim to screw into and stiffened up the install a lot.