Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Fantastic fan/sky light re-hab

So, I got around to trying to clean/wax the Fantastic Fan and Sky Light covers and even Macguires 1&2 would'ent clean 'em up.

So I have new ones on order.

Here's pics.

Now, when I bought the TT about 1.5 yrs ago, first thing is it went for a check up and re-seal of whole exterior.

So it looks to me like some BOZO went to town with a caulking gun around the sky light, antenna, F-fan etc and as you can see it's a heck of a mess to get off and do it right.

Another thing I found is that the black gasket sealing the opening F-fan lid was placed with the "bitter ends" facing forward and they had separated so if heading down the road in rain water could force it'self in.

Just saying , maybe you want to check yours.

Does it look as bad to you as me??? Now I'm going to have to repaint the roof after I get done removing 5lb of caulking.

Advice would be welcome before I get any further (so far I've only removed the caulking around the F-fan and I could probably get away with only repainting a square around it: thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	167558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	167559  

Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
How did your project go? I'm getting ready to replace the dome on my fan, and ran across your thread. I'm pretty sure I'll need to remove old caulk and reseal, too. Any tips?

Philip
Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Actually, the prior work was close to what you want. The bedding was a little too wide and thick for my taste, an inch beyond the seam would have been enough. The self leveling caulk is meant to be used in this fashion.

I have replaced three fans. I used blue painters tape to out line the perimeter and then applied the caulk with a small overlap. Pull up the tape carefully within minutes and you will end up with a nice straight, crisp edge that looks pretty.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Philipks: project went well and I chose to lay a similar size bead of self leveling caulk rather than paint the roof.
SeeMore has it right about the tape and technique but I would add that with the self leveling caulk you need to work fast and to get everything even I'd use a throw away paint brush as fast as you can to smooth the surface out as it settles and hardens.
As an aside you can see my thread "good by skylight hello hatch" to see the other half of the job.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Thanks for the info!