Old 12-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Fantastic Fan Replaced

I had the living room fan w/florescent light replaced in my 1998 31' Excella 1000 with a remote/thermostat controlled Fantastic Fan (supposedly by a "knowledgeable" technician.) There is an on/off switch near the entrance door to control said fan. Now, however, if I turn off that switch the refrigerator is also turned off. I never noticed if this happened with the original fan because I am the third owner and the fan needed replacing and did not use the previous fan. Any ideas? I had another RV tech take a cursory look but didn't have time to "mess with it". It's not a life or death situation, just asking if anyone has had this happen and possible solutions.
Thanks ahead of time.

Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
My novice thought would be that someone "borrowed some live wires they found" and they happen to run the fridge. Was there a switch there originally that they borrowed as well?

Definitely something I would spend some time getting recommendations for a solid person to fix things. At least that is what I would do.
I have found that finding a solid person/place/company that consistently does solid work is difficult unless you can travel to the well documented solid places. If you have the time I can tell the trip to Jackson Center or even Colfax NC (it is a gorgeous state) is nice, lots to see along the way and well worth the work done. Acknowledging that not everybody has the luxury to do so.
Good luck.

bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
our as 22FB came with the low end cheap 1200 model fantastic fan.

i purchased the high end 7350 model upgrade kit with rain sensor, fwd/back direction, auto close and timer model for under $100 from amazon last summer. It was VERY easy to upgrade. I did not have to change the outside plastic lid. just the base

the 1200 base is on the left , the 7350 base is on the right

here it is installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan base.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	357649   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 7350 fan in as22fb.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	357650  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model 7350 Upgrade_Kit_Booklet-091614.pdf (603.4 KB, 2 views)
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Bruce View Post
I had the living room fan w/florescent light replaced in my 1998 31' Excella 1000 with a remote/thermostat controlled Fantastic Fan (supposedly by a "knowledgeable" technician.) There is an on/off switch near the entrance door to control said fan. Now, however, if I turn off that switch the refrigerator is also turned off. I never noticed if this happened with the original fan because I am the third owner and the fan needed replacing and did not use the previous fan. Any ideas? I had another RV tech take a cursory look but didn't have time to "mess with it". It's not a life or death situation, just asking if anyone has had this happen and possible solutions.
Thanks ahead of time.
There is a wiring diagram in the Owners Manual for your trailer.
Look near page G15 for that drawing. This link ->
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-84.pdf

I suggest looking at the switch by the door that controls the light. The red/green wire that feeds the refrigerator should not be connected to that switch.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It sounds to me that the tech tried to tie the switch for the fan into the hot wire for the fridge and used the wrong side of the switch to splice it together, effectively switching the power to the fan and the fridge at the same time. If you pull the switch you will most likely see two wires on one side of the switch and only one on the other side. Reverse these and you should be good to go.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote