Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Fantastic Fan problem

I've had my '86 Sovereign for almost 3 years now and I noticed that one then the other Fantastic Fan will not close as they use to when it starts raining outside. Any ideas?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I've had my '86 Sovereign for almost 3 years now and I noticed that one then the other Fantastic Fan will not close as they use to when it starts raining outside. Any ideas?
Either your rain sensor is bad or your motor drive is. Call Fantastic Fan on Monday, get customer service, tell them what it's doing and they'll send you the required repair parts........usually FREE!!

Great company!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
My fan is relatively new but it always seems to stick if it hasn't been used recently. It opens manually if I force it but I am afraid I'll break it.

Any tips?
Thanks.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
If it's stuck, get some silicone on the seal - that will probably fix it. Your trailer should be under warranty.

As far as broken or non-operative parts, let Fantastic fan know, they'll replace the parts, they really stand behind their product. My local SOB dealer will even order them for me at no charge. Haven't tried that yet with our local A/S dealer.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had the same issue. They sent me new rubber gasketing and 303 protector stuff. Fixed the issue.

As for the non-op unit, I agree, a call to Fantastic typically gets the issue resolved and more times than not, at no cost.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
My fan is relatively new but it always seems to stick if it hasn't been used recently. It opens manually if I force it but I am afraid I'll break it.

Any tips?
Thanks.
Information included with my Fantastic Fan says to spray the rubber gasket with 303 Protectorant and when one of them started sticking that is what I did. Cured the problem.

I'll call Fantastic Fan Monday about the rain sensors. Thanks.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Are you sure that the control is set in the rain sensor mode. There are positions that override the sensor. I found out the wet way!
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Information included with my Fantastic Fan says to spray the rubber gasket with 303 Protectorant and when one of them started sticking that is what I did. Cured the problem.

I'll call Fantastic Fan Monday about the rain sensors. Thanks.
Thanks!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Fan-tastic vent is AWESOME!!!

Hello all -

I know this has been said numerous times before, but it bears repeating, especially since most of what gets repeated is negative stuff about companies. Fan-tastic Vent is AWESOME!!!

My latest story.... Colder than *&$^ here lately but sunny during the day, so I leave the FF on auto to vent excess warmth out during daytime hours. All is well!! Until we get 75+ mph winds last Thursday while I was in town (weather station info). Get home and immediately see the FF vent cover blown completely open at 6pm, 20 degrees and howling winds.

Get son to hold the foot of the ladder while I climb up with Duct tape, a brick and 1 glove (other is GONE on a GUST!) - eye's tearing from the Wind Chill. Get the cover closed and with the brick duct taped on top to prevent reopening.

Weekend was chocka-block so no time until yesterday. Took inside screen off and found the lifting arm sitting on top of the fan. Called FV and explained the situation. Jeff listened patiently, asked a few questions about the fan, about the TT and asked for an address - so he could send out parts at NO CHARGE!!! He also explained what he thought the problem was.

This AM I went out and took the FF apart as per his info and found the exact situation he explained. Think I got it back together as it should be, fully functional.

Will look at the parts on their way, and will likely send them back with a check for postage, a very appreciative letter, and a sincere desire to advocate for this terrific company.

Really 1st rate product and company! Terrific people, great support and a customer experience 2nd to none!

Just wanted to send out some good vibes today.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
There is more than one reason the are called Fantastic! We now have two in our Safari! Might put one in the Trad wind, but want to keep it original, but a Fantastic Fan is better than a big AC unit o the top!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Silvertoy,
I couldn't agree more. They are great. Nice post.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote