Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Fantastic Fan mysteries... (solved?)

Gang,

I spent some time figuring out my fantastic fan... and I discovered enough nuances that I figured I should share with you all. This has got to be the most confusing interface I've ever seen in a consumer product.

Here's the lowdown:
https://youtu.be/O5rqzbK3bTo

(At this point I'm doing a video every couple weeks, so feel free to subscribe on youtube for updates...)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
Thanks for taking the time to produce and post this. It was informative and useful—particularly the part about the red light. Has anyone else seen this light from bed at night and wondered what that was? Thanks, again.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Way to go, Thiel!

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Fan use

Nice video! You have it figured out.

Couple of additional tips. The rain sensors on our 2017 23d were extremely sensitive. The fan would close if I was even sweating a bit. I disconnected the rain sensors in both fans and also disconnected them in our new 2019 FC 25. Takes just a few minutes to do and eliminates the fan closing when you need it most. We have the "Ultrabreeze" covers on both fans. It has to be raining really hard and the wind blowing just right to have any water droplets come in. We really like the "Ultrabreeze" covers. If you put them on get the optional bug screen. It is a separate part. About $10.00 each for the bug screen and maybe $50.00 for each "Ultrabreeze" cover. Takes about 20 minutes to install on roof.

When you remove the little round interior fan screen to clean it you can easily remove the fan blade for easier cleaning. Just remove the screw holding fan blade to the shaft. It comes right off and you can rinse it clean in the sink. Way easier than trying to wipe it clean in place.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
My 2013 FC 19 had the red light and the "pull down on the knob" feature to disengage from the motor and open and close the lid. My 2014 23FB had the light, but not the 'pull down' feature, I would turn the knob and the motor would turn as well. My 2014 23d does not have the light, but does have the pull down knob to disengage the motor.

It seems so random what Airstream installs, even in the same model year.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
I was blocked by my anti-virus software from viewing your video. Is there another way to see it?
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Information

Great video. You actually solved an issue that I thought I was having with one of my fans. We were boondocking last week, had left the trailer with both vents open. It rained before we returned, but was not worried because of the rain sensors.

When we got back to the trailer, one of the fans was closed and one was not. Obviously, it was the speed setting on the fan which was set to zero, preventing the rain sensor from closing the fan.

You are correct, Confusing Fan is a better term for our Fantastic Fans, but my worries about a malfunction were solved. Thanks.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Thanks, I figured out the red light part by monitoring the drain on my battery when nothing appeared to be on. Not very intuitive! Great video.

Also, thanks for the point on cleaning the screen. Again, nothing apparent in the manuals.

Good stuff.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Unhappy

Good info. Now my problem is the fan does not currently turn, it did previously. I've attempted to check the fuse but am unable to figure out how to remove it; no matter how much I turn the housing with pliers. There is power to the raising mechanism which works fine off the wall thermostat. This is in my 1999lyx355
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Stouffville, Ontario , ON
What about the knob that is beside the water drop?

I don't have an automatic fantastic fan on my 2003 bambi but I always wonder what that knob with the colors is for. Just figured out how to draw fresh air in from using one fan on and opening the window...a game changer. Any other tips about these wonderful fans would be helpful. Thanks.
ChristinaJul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Thank you!!!!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devananda-E9 View Post
Good info. Now my problem is the fan does not currently turn, it did previously. I've attempted to check the fuse but am unable to figure out how to remove it; no matter how much I turn the housing with pliers. There is power to the raising mechanism which works fine off the wall thermostat. This is in my 1999lyx355

Regarding the fuse, look carefully at the bottom of the fuseholder. I think I remember that mine has just a screwdriver slot in a flush cap. But according to the schematic I got from FF, all power goes through the fuse. So if your lifting motor is working and the fan is not turning, it isn't the fuse.

Check your IN/OUT switch. Some have an OFF position in the middle.

There is a button switch near the IN/OUT switch. It detects that the lid is open and turns on the fan. It may be stuck. Note the lid has to open pretty far before the motor turns on. Are you waiting long enough?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Not that mysterious, but what I don't like about the newer FF's is that once that the rain sensor closes the vent, it won't reopen. The earlier models would reopen after the sensor dried out. No longer an option.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
In my experience with the FF’s in our 2014 25’’FC:
They get dirty quickly and not real easy to clean. The screens do pop off but the plastic retainer tabs are fragile and break easily. The metal screens can bend easily and make a terrible racket if not straight. I tried to remove the screw holding the fan blade in place in order to clean it but the screw is on really tight and I am afraid to force the issue.
Although my fans have the auto features I have never trusted them to work correctly when needed. Especially since one of the fans is directly over the bed.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Gang,

I spent some time figuring out my fantastic fan... and I discovered enough nuances that I figured I should share with you all. This has got to be the most confusing interface I've ever seen in a consumer product.

Here's the lowdown:

https://youtu.be/O5rqzbK3bTo

(At this point I'm doing a video every couple weeks, so feel free to subscribe on youtube for updates...)

Thanks for this video
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My Airstream had the original semi-automatic fans installed in 1997. Two years ago I upgraded both to wireless remote operation with the kit sold on Amazon. I looks similar but without the extra controls on the unit. All it has is the hand crank and fuse. Operation is with the remote which was suppose to have 12 speeds but mine only has 3. The rain sensors are overly active and shut down at first drop of rain or heavy due. Only way I can shut off the red light is to remove the fuse or use the 12v kill switch near the door.

Overall I am very happy but need to install exterior covers so they can still operate in the rain with inside circulation.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bennington , NE
Heat on the fan?

New unit for me...2013 Serenity 28 and I was on the roof sealing around the fans. (from a ladder really) I had the lid open and was checking out the rain sensor. It looked to be oxidized but could not get it to close with a wet finger. I will try again after watching that video as I may have had it off on the switch.

It looked like it has a heater coil on one of the corners. How does that work? I tried to activate but maybe I have the wrong method. It would seem that it would work when the lid is closed and fan on to move the air. Hmmmmm
Inestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inestein View Post
It looked like it has a heater coil on one of the corners. How does that work?

The coil you see is actually resister wire which is used for the fan speed control; it's located right above the fan speed control knob. It does tend to get warm, hence the small vent hole to allow heat dissipation.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The video is great!
I almost never use the FF, but now I'll try it again.
My previous MH had a wall mounted control, and it made sense. Having all the controls on the vent and how they interact makes it tedious.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Great job, thank you. My wife spent about 30 minutes figuring it out on our last trip. she will love this video.
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote