Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Fantastic Fan Motor Replacement

My '86 Sovereign 25' was purchased used and had Fantastic Fans installed at an Airstream rally according to the previous owner. Both can motors had dates of '02. Bearings went out in one and it was replaced with a RSTA6000 motor dated 4/12. These had a fan blade assembly pressed onto the shaft. I had another one with bearing failure so I ordered a replacement from what is now Attwood after they aquired Fantastic Fan. What I got was a fan assembly smaller in diameter held onto the shaft with a screw and a pancake motor. A combination of smaller dia. and what I feel is a weaker motor was poor performance. After 6 months the motor started squeaking so I pulled it out and replaced it with the can motor I took out. If I'm going to have squeaking then it had better come with plenty of airflow. Bearing are getting worse and amperage usage has increased on lower speed.

I have no plans to order any pancake motor model from Attwood ever again so I am looking for a replacement motor, the larger fanblade assembly complete with bowtie mounting bracket. Does anyone know where I might locate one new or used or if there is a source for a replacement motor? Any help would be appreciated.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Unfortunately dometic hasnt done fantastic fans any favors.

Step up to Maxx fans. More speeds, better blades, quieter operation, you really can't go wrong with the investment.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
As Crakerman said, don't waste your time and money on the FF!! Buy a Maxx air and solve your problems. Better speeds, quieter, and FAR better service!! Speaking from experience with both brands!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Thanks guys. I knew that would be what I would probably have to do but I hated to have to remove the FF after resealing it a couple years ago.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 04-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Update:. Never did find a replacement motor but I know there has to be one out there. Since the commutator and brushes are near the top of the motor and I felt that it was the lower bearing giving me trouble, I sprayed Fluid Film into the lower area of the motor and it made its way into the bearings. I have used this stuff on all kinds of equipment since learning about it from a friend. It sprays like a liquid and sets up like a light grease. The fan is quiet now so on to other projects.