Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 07:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Bend , OR
Fantastic fan malfunction

Hi There, I have a 2006 Safari. One of our fantastic fans is not working. I have read a number of threads and tried lubricating and pressing/depressing the plunger, tried a new fuse, cleaning the rain sensor, with no luck. It sounds like it gets power for about a second then immediately turns off. Has anyone run into a similar issue and have any advice? Thanks!
SweetAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:37 AM   #2
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAgnes View Post
Hi There, I have a 2006 Safari. One of our fantastic fans is not working. I have read a number of threads and tried lubricating and pressing/depressing the plunger, tried a new fuse, cleaning the rain sensor, with no luck. It sounds like it gets power for about a second then immediately turns off. Has anyone run into a similar issue and have any advice? Thanks!
When you say the fan is not working, what specifically is not working? Are the fan blades not spinning? Is the hatch cover not opening? Have you adjusted the moisture sensor? Etc.
Old 06-10-2024, 02:43 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Mine has the same issue. Pretty sure it is the plunger device - I ordered one but haven't installed it.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Bend , OR
The blades will not spin. You can hear small motor in the automatic hatch opener kick on, but only temporarily. My husband open and closed the hatch (switched to and from manual to automatic) and that seemed to start the fan, but it quickly turned off. I'm trying to figure out if it's a faulty switch, or if it the motor. I'm assuming since there is electricity going to the hatch that it shouldn't be anything to do with the wiring to the fan itself. The plunger does look rusted but the wiring to it looks okay. otherwise, the rain sensor may contributing. I would rather replace parts then replace the whole fan. I didn't think of the rain sensor possibly disengaging the motor...
Old 06-11-2024, 04:05 AM   #5
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAgnes View Post
The blades will not spin. You can hear small motor in the automatic hatch opener kick on, but only temporarily. My husband open and closed the hatch (switched to and from manual to automatic) and that seemed to start the fan, but it quickly turned off. I'm trying to figure out if it's a faulty switch, or if it the motor. I'm assuming since there is electricity going to the hatch that it shouldn't be anything to do with the wiring to the fan itself. The plunger does look rusted but the wiring to it looks okay. otherwise, the rain sensor may contributing. I would rather replace parts then replace the whole fan. I didn't think of the rain sensor possibly disengaging the motor...
In my experience, the Fantastic Fans seem to need a “reset” after being triggered to shut down by moisture (rain, heavy dew.)

Try setting the hatch position switch on “close”, set the fan switch on “off”, and turn the moisture sensor knob/dial all the way to the least sensitive (wettest) setting. Let it sit like that for a bit. Then try them again by pressing the “open” switch followed by the fan on switch.

At least this way you will rule out one possibility….
Old 06-11-2024, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Your fan is almost 20 years old. Things do wear out and if I was in the same situation I would replace it with a Maxxair fan that has 10 speeds, in and out, rain sensor and remote. A far better unit. I have replaced many for myself and friends over the last several years. Everyone is very happy with their new units. The Maxxair 4500 series is what I have put in, as well as the Maxxair Deluxe which can be left open in the rain. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Any updates on troubleshooting?
Old 06-14-2024, 02:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Bend , OR
I tinkered a bit longer, then lost patience and hired a mobile rv tech. Turns out, there was loose wires that he tightened up and it is now functioning. Should have replaced it with a new one myself because the charge for the repair was more than the cost of a new fan, oh well! Thanks for the replies everyone. I will eventually invest in replacement but hope to get another season out of the already existing fans!