Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Fantastic fan install questions

Hi All,
For those of you who have done it, do you use the gasket material betwen the flange and roof or do just bed it in real good with Vulkum or both Vulkum and the gasket? Are rivets or the screws the the best way to attach the flange? I have read all the warnings about watching for the wires when trimming the hole but is there any thing else I should know?
Thanks for the help
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I dispensed with the gasket on mine, used only Vulkem. I started to use stainless screws, but was not at all comfortable having sharp, pointy objects in amongst the main wiring bundle, so I went with rivets. I Vulkemed the rivets as well.

What else should you know? The first time you are on the roof with the new vent, place it next to the opening EXACTLY in the position in which you wish to install it - i.e. with the hinge to the front. This is so that when the opening is cleared, and everything is ready, you can drop it into place with exactly the correct orientation. Doing this saves considerable embarrassment when, having Vulkemed and riveted the unit into place, you open it for the first time - sideways! With an audience. Your wife.

Or so I would suppose...

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
since I will probably be installing soon, I have printed this recomendation out. I am nervous about our first rally, and would hate to install it sideways, and realize this in front of all the other A/S folks...LOL

Ron
Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Re: Fantastic fan install questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Hi All,
For those of you who have done it, do you use the gasket material betwen the flange and roof or do just bed it in real good with Vulkum or both Vulkum and the gasket? Are rivets or the screws the the best way to attach the flange? I have read all the warnings about watching for the wires when trimming the hole but is there any thing else I should know?
Thanks for the help
Mike B
Hi Mike,
Many of the manufacturers of RV's that install Fantastics don't use the gasket. They just embed the flange into their favorite caulk. I have some installation pictures made by various Airstreamers and others on my website. The main concern when fastening the Fantastic is to work out from the center crown to the side edges. One screw/rivet at a time alternating side to side toward the side edge. Then screw/ rivet the side edge flanges. Various Installations
My recommendation for Airstreamers is to use what is called a high profile base, more of the vent sticks out on the roof and less knob protrudes into the headroom. (Less head scraping)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you know, this is on my list of "someday" projects for the trailer, but I'm wondering: what to do about losing the light fixture??? those great photo essays on installation...both author's said that they opted to just go without. I'm thinking that there oughta be a light fixture there of some sort. especially if you do 2 vents, like some folks have on the new models. anyone ever done this? what did you use for a retrofit light?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
you know, this is on my list of "someday" projects for the trailer, but I'm wondering: what to do about losing the light fixture??? those great photo essays on installation...both author's said that they opted to just go without. I'm thinking that there oughta be a light fixture there of some sort. especially if you do 2 vents, like some folks have on the new models. anyone ever done this? what did you use for a retrofit light?
Hi Chuck,
A couple years ago someone sent me pictures of their Airstream vent with like 3 bulbs on each side. I tried very hard to figure out away to adapt the Fantastic for him with using the the lights and trim. The problem as I remember was the location of the lift handle in the middle on the old and with Fantastics being on the side. Most who have responed to me about the light/vent situation have put flourescent fixtures close to their Fantastics.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you do not mind cutting into the interior skin you can even get recessed mount fluorescent lights. This gives you a low profile solution. The new models have all of the lights recessed, either fluorescent or halogen.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote