Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM   #1

2002 25' Safari
London , Ohio
Fantastic Fan Install Help

I am looking for some ideas on good ways to work on the top of my trailer? I have a couple of fans I want to install and I am just not sure how to approch this task. Does any body have a simple way to work on the top without doing damage to the sides from ladders and etc. ? If my arms were about a foot longer or I was 3 feet taller it wouldn't be a big deal. Thanks
Coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

When on the roof, don't put your weight anywhere except along the ribs - defined by rows of rivets. Some people cut a piece of plywood to sit on. If you do so make it large enough to bridge two ribs.

To get on the roof, use a ladder. Place it against the awning tube, or, if no awning, lean one ladder rail against a rib. Put an old folded t-shirt or something equally soft and non-marring betwwen the ladder rails and the aluminum.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am still fairly agile, I use an 8' step ladder and lean it against the awning tube or the drip rail over a window. I aslo wear a good non slip sole shoe, like a boat shoe. You can walk between the ribs and stringers but I don't reccomend it. A half sheet of plywood with some carpet padding glued on the back makes a decent work platform.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
If you are thin and small you can do some work by standing up through a vent that has been removed. Of course once you start installing the Fantastic Vent you will need to work on the outside. A section of lumber to span two ribs with a blanket or carpet underneath can be used to support either you or a ladder extension. Don't count on a rib always being under a row of rivets though. That just isn't the case. Some people are light enough to get up on top without leaving an impression, but at 235 lbs. I can't say I'm in that group. If you use a ladder extension, secure it by rope or strap to a wheel, axle or bumper, so that it will not slip away while you are near the top. I just installed my second Fantastic Vent and used two ladders to form a tripod (one folding ladder supporting an extension ladder) and strapped them together with another strap attached to the wheel. It was very stable, and the only point of contact with my Globe Trotter was where the ladder rested on the one by four with carpet attached.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

The idea of using a half sheet of plywood with carpet padding glued to its back is probably best. When you are on it your weight will be distributed over a greater are thus the chances of doing any damage to the top are minimized.

Walking on the top even on the rivet rows is still taking a chance since you are depending on a structural support in that area which may not be present. Also if you should loose your balance you may inadvertently step on an area with no support what so ever which would result in more damage to repair.

Using a ladder is ok, but it’s not a bad idea to glue strips of carpet padding on the ladder as well.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Coffebean,

Here is a great photo link to show you how to install your fantastic fan.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo.../cat/504/page/
WBCCI #3162, VAC
1969 Overlander International

"It's the little things in life that...."
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Insalling Fantastic Fan/Ladders

When I installed my Fantastic Fan I used 2 extra long ladders leaning against opposite sides of the coach. The ladders should be about 3ft. higher than the coach roof. Then I made a scaffolding by sliding a 2"X12" by 10 Feet board through the ladder steps to get enough clearance to walk on this board and to sit on it supporting most of my weight. I am 6'4" 260 lbs. and this worked quite well. Only stand on the riveted rib sections when you must walk around. There was no scratching of the sides of the coach and I had an awning cover on only one side. You could pad the ladder sides if you wished.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:34 AM   #8

2002 25' Safari
London , Ohio
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input, all I need now is a few good days of weather.
Coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #9

Red face I'm new at this....

we had a Fantastic Fan installed to replace the wake-the-dead one in our RV's bathroom. we had it done by CampingWorld in Fairfield, CA. when i turned it on, after getting home (an hour away) it worked great - except it BLOWS AIR IN instead of out like we wanted and like the one we already have in the living room. IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO REVERSE IT? or do I have to drive to stupid CampingWorld ? It's not a reversable model and has no thermostat.
loupulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yes.

If you have no thermostat or lift motor, juts pull the inner trim, find the wires and reverse the connection.

If you have a lift motor, then you will need to pull the switch and change the ires. It sounds like they just connected the wires backward.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Reverse the power and ground wires as they connect to the fan. That's what the switch does.

Regards,
Charles
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Great job! And great photos. My fan is on order. Do you have a contact phone # for the Fantastic Fan Co. so I can get my Airstream adapter on the way?

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Dwight/16595;

I bought my Fantastic Vent here. >>> http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/

He ships them with the Airstream trim piece. Also a fair price to boot.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I should have asked here before ordering thru Camping World. Your source is only $3 higher, and the service sounds great.

Thanks,

DO
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
He will also configure the fans with different domes, etc for the cost of the domes. I just got 2 with completely opaque insulated domes, the up charge was 18.00 and they were installed as well as the garnish was trimmed to the correct height upon receipt. Scott is a member of the forum too.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyW
I bought my Fantastic Vent here. >>> http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/
He ships them with the Airstream trim piece. Also a fair price to boot.

Bought mine from Scott, also - he knows the product and takes time to explain all of your options (Domes, colors, reverse, autorain, etc....)

Delivery was as promised.

His knowledge was worth a great deal as there was so much more to ordering a fan than I was aware of. I purchased the clear dome, but there are many others available. Scott can explain the differences, and then you can think about the one just "right" for your installation.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
So many options...

I did not realize that there was a curved trim panel even available. I have already purchased and installed 3 Fantastic vents. My AS is a 1973 31' Sovereign. The old units I took out had a metal surround that seems to be flat on both the top and the bottom. Because of this it seemed to me that it was OK for the new ones to be flat also instead of curved. Of course the old ones also had a plastic light fixture mounted on the inside so any need for curvature directly on the bottom of the vent would not have been a visible issue. My inner skins are still off so I have not yet installed the inner trim ring. Am I going to find there is too much curvature of the ceiling panel to work with the flat trim? Are older trailer models more rounded on top?

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
..... Am I going to find there is too much curvature of the ceiling panel to work with the flat trim? Are older trailer models more rounded on top?
I think you will find a gap of between 3/8" and 1/2" with the flat interior panel - entirely taken out by the "airstream" curvature interior panel.

The flat exterior mount simply conforms to the anticlinal dome of the airstream roof with screws/rivets. (I've been carrying that word (anticlinal) around in my head for the past 30 years - first opportunity to use it )
I used the kit supplied screws on my installation - will probably do so again should I decide to replace the rear fan with a Fantastic.

I think I read that ALL of the dome curvatures were the same (trailer and motorhome (except G2)) until the new wide bodies were introduced.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

fantastic fan troubles

It isn't working. Is the most common problem a shot motor? Should I just buy a new fan? Also in my 1965 Caravel there is a switch on the wall near the sink. Is that for the fan? I have a small button type switch on the fan that does nothing. I have no idea how to tell what is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Ann
AnnZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Fantastic fan domes

I know that the Fantastic Fans are available with many different types and colors of domes. Anybody care to share their experience with and recommendations for these options? What do you have, and would you buy the same thing again?

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote