Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Fantastic Fan Add to Safari

I'm considering adding a Fantastic Fan (or 2) to our Safari 25. The question is what... put in 1-front or rear, or both, & if so is the rain sensor model worth the extra $. (IMHO:They are expensive) If anyone has done this or considered the possibility I would appreciate any/all opinions.
-Thanks, Ed
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We have two and love 'em. We can keep the door and windows closed for security at night, or when we're away and the cats are left alone, and use the two for lots of air movement with one blowing in or out, and the other doing the opposite, or just open with the fan not turning. I like to have air coming in the end where we are. For maximum effect on a hot day, we set both blowing out and open all the windows a bit.

You don't NEED two FVs to move air through the trailer with the windows and doors closed, but having both with the rain-sensor is nice. You could also put a Maxx-Aire cover over a manual vent on one end.

One thing you have to watch for is where your black and grey tank vent stacks are located. If they're near the bedroom vent, whether it's a fan-type vent or not, you don't want to have the Fantastic Vent in the living room blowing out, if the bedroom vent is open, and you NEVER want to have a bedroom fan blowing in.

The thermostats are great for when it cools off at night. The fan(s) automatically stop.

The rain-sensors work as advertised. We accidentally left the bedroom fan open for over a month and I didn't notice it until it was starting to rain one day and I heard it closing. The bed cover showed no sign of ever being wet.

Be advised there is a curved fascia for Airstreams available from the company if you don't buy the vent through Airstream.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

My 02 27 ft Safari came with one in the front and I had the dealer install one in the rear. They are great. Due to the small window opening size on the Safari it is difficult to get much cross ventilation. I often set one to pull air in and the other push air out. I have the rain sensors; sometimes they work a little too well and will shut because of high humidity.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I second what Maurice said. I didn't have the fantastic fan on my '03, but my '04 Safari I got one (up front) with the Safari Upgrade Package and I special ordered the second one.

Now with one, at full speed, it pulls a great deal of air from the open windows. With two, at full speed, it's like a tornado inside! Both have the rain sensor and I love that feature!

If you boondock a bunch, and do so in warmer climates, I would suggest two fantasitc fans everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

I like the FF over the other options as it has a factory looking footprint on the roof without a lot of mass above the roofline.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Having two is nice. I had two on my Safari. These were the chepo models (not really cheap) that were exhaust only, no rain sensor, 3 speeds. Even like this, we loved these fans.

One benefit that the others have not spoken about is the fact that you can turn on one and open the hatch only on the other. This is a very quiet mode to operate in. We tended to run the fan at the opposite end of the trailer from where we were living. For example at night we would run the front fan and leave the hatch open over the beds. Day time was the opposite. And when it was warm we fire them both up. Lots of airflow, especially on the Safari which doesn't have the large windows like the Classic does.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

We put one in the front of our 25' Sovereign, and really like it. It is the plain-jane exhaust only and I installed it in the front. I have had the most success opening the back window just a bit and letting the fan pull the air through the coach. It is very hard for me to imagine how anyone would want more airfow - but your window arrangements may be different.

I went with the basic model because I could see no benefit to blowing air into the coach (although I could if we had two fans), and because the rain sensor will ONLY fail at the worst possible time.

Be VERY aware of the large bundle of wires which are distressingly close to where you will want to install the screws. In fact, I chickened out and went with rivets.

The manufacturer (Fantastic Vent) does not recommend the use of the Max-Air style covers. I personally have no experience with them.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack is right...I almost forgot about that fact. The Safaris do have the small window openings.

I took a closer look at what the factory installed in my Safari and both units do have the rain sensor, but both are just exhaust only.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan Add to Safari

Greetings Ed!

I, too, have had a pair of Fantastic Fans in my '64 Overlander since 1999. Each of the fans have the rain sensor, thermostatic control, and are both reversible models. After having them in this coach, it is one of my next jobs to have done on the Minuet. The Fantastic Fans can make summer heat nearly bearable in most climates - - wouldn't consider an International Rally without at least one. Ohio's humidity was made almost bearable by the Fans during the International Rally in '99 (had them installed by the Fantastic Fan Representative at the Rally), they kept the coach comfortable at both Rallys in South Dakota as well as at the Rally in Bismarck, ND.

I travel with two Chihuahuas, and they were one of the reasons that I purchased the Fans for the Overlander. The Fans are a true advantage for those who travel with pets as it helps tremendously in keeping the temperature down in the coach when camped in Rally situations where air conditioner operation isn't an option.

I also frequently use the fans during periods of inacativity in the summer to keep the coach well-ventilated. I often keep the coach in Southern Illinois where the summer heat and humidity can cause a number of problems, but they are significantly lessened by the circulating air - - especially when one fan is set for intake and the other is set for exhaust.

For my purposes, the Fantastic Fans have been worth every penny of their cost.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You can almost turn the Airstream into a wind tunnel with one blowing in, one blowing out, both on High at 3A each. And that 6A total at 12VDC comes out to only about 1/4 of 3A 120VAC rally power.

However, when boondocking with limited battery capacity, they can use quite a bit over time. Using just one on medium for 12 hours during the day, and on low for 12 hours during the night takes over 50AH every day.

It's a good idea to turn them off, or at least make sure they aren't blowing out, when using the bathroom or range hood, so they don't fight it and wind up bring humidity into the rest of the trailer. Saves battery power too.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Jack is right...I almost forgot about that fact. The Safaris do have the small window openings.

I took a closer look at what the factory installed in my Safari and both units do have the rain sensor, but both are just exhaust only.
We just picked-up our Safari today. I also have the up-grade package. I noticed the front FF was only exhaust and told my dealer it should run both ways. He agreed and will change it out for us.
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The factory did mention that eventually there would be no more intake Fantastic Fans. Your dealer is wrong, but it's your gain!

Fantastic still makes them I believe, it's just that Airstream seems to have made the exhaust only the standard.