Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thumbs up Fantastic Fan

What do you all think of this?Is it worth it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-T...spagenameZWDVW

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Devoman,

thats a very good price, but you need the "Airstream Garnish" for a proper instalation as the Fantastic Vents Garnish is for a flat roof and ceiling and as you know the Airstream ceiling is slightly curved.

I ordered two Fantastic Vents 6000 rbta with the double insulated smoked dome and Airstream Garnish from Adohen Surply for $218.99...
Including shipping them by airmail to Germany the are still $356.00 cheaper than buying them over here...

Maybe I should start to import them...

BTW nice Tow Vehicle!!! Although we are in Volkswagen County the Touareg is much cheaper in the USA then here... Maybe we have to re-import one???!!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Devo,
You're going to love that rain sensor. I was skeptical at first, and was hesitant to leave the vent open when we weren't in the trailer. But we had a very light shower one day when I was in the Bambi, and the vent closed right away.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Fan

Would you know if it is already wired up for a fan to be put there or does it need to be wired and where to?It looks to be a fairly bit of work but would not be that bad though.Unless I have to wire it everywhere then it will probably take some time to do.Thanks

Old 08-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Mine came with the fan already installed, but knowing Airstream, I'd bet the wiring is there. Check your fuse panel to see if there is any circuits dedicated to a ceiling fan. I just checked mine, and the fan is on circuit # 4 (brown wire/20 amp fuse) with the AC and the TV jack.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
fan

Would anyone know for sure if the wiring is already there.I just dont want to take it apart and then mess something up in the process just to be safe.Thanks.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I wired a Fantastic fan into my 2004 16' CCD. The wires for it were right there in the ceiling when you remove the factory crank-up vent. The install was easy-peasy. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Devoman,

My 1987 was wired. I think someone will tell you all the new airstreams are wired. Send a email to airstream. You should be able to remove the inside cover for the existing vent and locate the wires. Mine were running front to back close to the vent.

The $180 is the same price that Camping world had the 6000 for last year. I would be sure I am getting the warranty from the seller.

These fans are over hyped. They are cheap plastic, the motors are small and the dome sticks trying to open. I am alway fussing with mine whether it is the sticking or trying to get the thermo calibrated for the temp range that I anticipate on a particular day. It is nice to be able to go away and have the dome close in case of rain. It does allow you to vent the trailer and not leave the windows open to get rain in.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Fan

Are the fans always put in the front or put in the back.I just need to be sure so i dont take the wrong one apart.
Or do they just wire all of them all.Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Motor just crapped out in mine. I hate to call them, because they probably will send me a new fan motor free. They have sent me so much free stuff, that I feel guilty asking for something else.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
You're going to find 12 volt wiring within easy reach of BOTH of your vents. Are there 12 volt lights nearby? That's where you get the electricity, if there isn't just a wire taped inside the hole.

Second, I got mine installed at the Fantastic vent factory, yes the factory. And it IS easy. If I had known how easy, I would have done it myself.

As for vents on both front and back, yes you can do it. Ask Silvertwinkie, he had his installed at the AS factory that way. You may need to check into whether or not you want the back just on exhaust, since an intake direction might suck in sewer gas from your waste vent pipe.

And Pick, don't worry about parts. That's their philosophy, their version of marketing is to provide the best service in the industry to their customers. Spares are considered in their marketing budget. Works for me!

JOhn
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Fan-tastic Vents

Wow, what a great (fantastic) company that is...
We ordered two Fantastic Vents 6000 rbta (with rainsensor and all that stuff) and got them last week. After installing them I realised that the Vent-motor is perfectly working , but it was not possible to open the dome automatically with the lift-motor. Everything else is working great but it seems that the liftmotor isn´t getting any electricity. I have no clue why!! Shelley from the Tech. Department at Fantastic Vents provided me with all information I asked for and even answered the really stupid question from me with a great patience.
All her answers didn´t help and now she sends us two new complete switch assemblies to Germany - for free.
Thats a great customer service in my eyes, as it is not clear what happend!! If I would have had the same problem with a german product, they would have tried to say that it was my foult and it would have been very hard to get new parts for free.
I´ll send her the "old" and maybe damaged parts back for their product development to see what was wrong...
Only thing I can say about them is - great product and a great company... Wish everyone would react like them!!

All the best from our side of the big pond.

Bjoern

unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 09-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having had your same Bambi and now having a 25' Safari, I can tell you first hand, don't even think twice about....get two if you can. They are *fantastic*! In all seriousness, we love both fans we have in the Safari. The rain sensors work awesome.....I was out in the field doing some work when it started to pour....high tailed it to the Safari only to find that the vents closed all by themselves without a drop of water in the coach.

You won't be disappointed with fantastic vents...and their customer service is excellent!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
fans

So where is a good place to purchase these from.Should I use the links posted earlier?Thanks

Old 09-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Before you order the Fantastic Fan, take a close look at the new MaxxFan. I installed one about six weeks ago and love it! The MaxxFan can be left open virtually all the time. The clever shrouded design keeps out the rain and also allows for driving in a vent-open position. We chose it over the popular Fantastic Vent because we wanted the ability to circulate air in our 21 footer regardless of weather. Great for pet owners who would like to camp without AC hookup. We found the unit to cost a little more than the Fantastic with rain sensor. The benefits for us made it a great choice!
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I was very pleased with the price and the service from Adohen supply and will use them again without hesitation.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Their price includes garnish for Airstream and shipping and choice of lid.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
We got ours from Adohen too. It was a pleasure to do business with Scott!!

Bjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
I was very pleased with the price and the service from Adohen supply and will use them again without hesitation.

unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 09-10-2005, 08:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fantastic Fan

Greetings Devoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
So where is a good place to purchase these from.Should I use the links posted earlier?Thanks
Another option that you might have in Florida is to check out the Florida State WBCCI Rally. Fantastic Vent factory representatives are often at the larger WBCCI rallys. My understanding is that they are usually at the Florida State WBCCI Rally. The factory representatives have installed both of the Fantastic Vents on my Overlander as well as the one on my Minuet (the Minuet only had one roof vent assembly from the factory). In my case, the installations were handled at the International Rally (Dayton, OH for the Overlander and Lansing, MI for the Minuet).

I am an enthusiastic owner of Fantastic Vents -- the automatic rain sensor has never failed me, and the thermostatic control was greatly appreciated during this summer's excursion to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to tincanholiday
mine doesnt turn off

i can switch it on but in order to stop the motor running i have to open the electrics and switch it with a screwdriver, admittedly I have not bothered to turn it on for a few years - it may have self repaired. But I will try calling them and seeing if it is something that can be easily fixed. I had forgotten about it until i saw this thread.