Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Fan-Tastic Vent replacement recommendations

Hi,

I have two (2) Fan-Tastic vents in my '68 Airstream Overlander. This past weekend one of them stopped working. I called Dometic for help (still in warranty)..after waiting on hold for almost an hour I got to talk with a customer service representative. I explained my problem and she told me I first had to determine if the fan motor was getting power. I explained to her that the fan was running and it basically just quit working. He became pretty rude and condescending and our conservation basically ended. I then went to the AS to see if I could determine if the fan motor was getting power. I put a jumper on the fan speed switch and the fan began to spin. I'm not an electrician but that seems to me that maybe the fan speed switch is possibility bad. I called Dometic back and got a different CSR and explained everything to him. He asked if there was continuity with the fan speed switch...again I'm not an electrician and he also told me that he wasn't a technician and that I would have to take it to a service center. I asked him where the closest one was and he told me to Google it.

I try to be polite and patient as I can be but if the manufacturer of the product doesn't have qualified support staff answering questions on their support line, then they are pretty much useless in my opinion.

Please forgive my rant and my question is...are there other replacement products that you would recommend other than Dometic Fan-Tastic? I refuse to do business with companies that have poor customer service.

I realize that many folks may have had great experiences with their Fan-Tastic vent and I say "great"...it is just not what I experienced.

Thanks,

Pete
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Maxxfan deluxe. I had Fantastic Fans and although many love them I don't. The Maxxfan for me is superior, runs open or closed, moves more CFM, I leave mine open 24/7 and they are storm proof! As an added bonus they haven't developed stress cracks like my FF's did ( on the structure not around the screw holes).
Old 06-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Maxxfan deluxe. I had Fantastic Fans and although many love them I don't. The Maxxfan for me is superior, runs open or closed, moves more CFM, I leave mine open 24/7 and they are storm proof! As an added bonus they haven't developed stress cracks like my FF's did ( on the structure not around the screw holes).
X2 on the Maxxfans with one caveat, if you have solar or anything that drives your 12 volt system voltage over 13 volts at the fan for long periods of time you might want to isolate the fan circuit. Over a couple of years my control circuits crapped out. After chatting with support (who are very helpful) I figured out that my solar charger was causing the maxxfan control boards pain with 13.6 volts at times (I leave everything powered on even in storage and use the fans to force exhaust while in storage over 95 degrees). I was so impressed with the fans that I ordered new boards and opener gears and one of these to hard limit the fan circuit to 12.5 volts https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0YCDJ8/ If you don't have a solar charger and AGM/Lithium batteries you'll probably will be fine with MaxxxFan as is. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Thank you for your response...I will definitely look into MaxxAir.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
X2 on the Maxxfans with one caveat, if you have solar or anything that drives your 12 volt system voltage over 13 volts at the fan for long periods of time you might want to isolate the fan circuit. Over a couple of years my control circuits crapped out. After chatting with support (who are very helpful) I figured out that my solar charger was causing the maxxfan control boards pain with 13.6 volts at times (I leave everything powered on even in storage and use the fans to force exhaust while in storage over 95 degrees). I was so impressed with the fans that I ordered new boards and opener gears and one of these to hard limit the fan circuit to 12.5 volts https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0YCDJ8/ If you don't have a solar charger and AGM/Lithium batteries you'll probably will be fine with MaxxxFan as is. - Brad
Thank you for your response...I will definitely look into MaxxAir.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Fantastic Fans, where once Fantastic as they where a family run company. I had zero issues getting parts for free even after warranty expired. But now that they are owned by Dometic, yours is not the first story of bad support and troubles.

They also used to attend the WBCCI International Rallys and install fans at the Rally, sadly those days are gone.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Another vote for Maxxfan Deluxe model. You can leave them open 24/7. Mine get opened in the spring and closed in the fall so the trailer can breathe during the hot summers when I am not using it.
Propride 3P Hitch
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thatís great extra info, thank you
Old 06-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Here’s what I got: [URL="https://www.campingworld.com/maxxfan-deluxe-remote-control-rv-ventilator-system-white-lid-48933.html?rrec=true"] I bought two. You can set them on automatic to operate at a certain temp, one one out to keep the trailer cool. 10 speeds and the first two are almost silent. The remotes are handy to keep near at night. I’m not a big camping world fan (no pun intended) but if you sign up for their flyer they put these on sale from time to time. One other nice feature is that you can pull the whole unit from the roof for maintenance after removing 4 screws! I bought mine in white but they also offer smoke. I installed Maxim skylights was well (no relation and different thread) so I get plenty of natural light from them. Good luck! - Brad
Old 06-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
MaxxFan Install

Here's a few pix of my install......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	370616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1751.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	370617  

Name:	IMG_1752.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	370618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1753.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	370619  

Old 06-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks for the pics. The opening for my Fan-Tastic vent is 14" x 14". Will i need to make any modifications to install the Maxxair?
Old 06-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
If I remember right I had to open the hole a little but it was pretty close.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
MaxxFan

Here are operation pix of fans exterior closed, open, interior closed (green light indicates in Automatic mode).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maxx Closed.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	370636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxx Open.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	370637  

Name:	Maxx Closed Int Remote.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	370638  
Old 06-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Maxx Fan

And here's a shot of the remote and Interior open and operating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maxx Open Int.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	370639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxx Remote.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	370640  

Old 06-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Once you have MaxxAir fans you will wonder how FantasticFans stays in business. Next to the Clarion audio system in our 2015 Airstream it was the most annoying appliance in the trailer. You will love the MaxxAir fans.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Given the lack of support I'm pretty much finished buying anymore Domestic products. Pretty disappointed with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Fantastic Fans, where once Fantastic as they where a family run company. I had zero issues getting parts for free even after warranty expired. But now that they are owned by Dometic, yours is not the first story of bad support and troubles.

They also used to attend the WBCCI International Rallys and install fans at the Rally, sadly those days are gone.

Damon
Old 06-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Pete, I’ll start by saying I agree with your opinion of dometic. I’m cheap, too, so when my two week old trailer’s fan stopped working, I called the dealer. The tech has me set the fan speed to “3”, the cover to “ open” and toggle the fan switch three times. The system started working. I wish Airstream would offer Max-Aire’s, but will get by with the voodoo fan for now.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks for the tip...I tried it but didn't work for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Pete, Iíll start by saying I agree with your opinion of dometic. Iím cheap, too, so when my two week old trailerís fan stopped working, I called the dealer. The tech has me set the fan speed to ď3Ē, the cover to ď openĒ and toggle the fan switch three times. The system started working. I wish Airstream would offer Max-Aireís, but will get by with the voodoo fan for now.